Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:16 PM

A frightening experience!!!!!

I have just returned from a long weekend away in Sofia in Bulgaria. As we travel a fair bit, we are well aware that the taxis at most Airports overcharge.
So as we flew into terminal 1 at Sofia airport, we knew there was a free shuttle bus to terminal 2, where we could catch the Metro to the centre where we were staying.

So yesterday, we returned using the same route - or so we thought! We had purchased some hop on hop off tickets the day before, these tickets covered using buses, trams and the metro. We were informed that lasted a full 24 hours, but no, we were told at the station, that we would have to buy another ticket. This was not a problem as they were so cheap.

On arrival at terminal 2, we saw a bus on the same stand that we had caught before. It was quite full, so I was sitting separately to the rest of my family. It was just a three-minute journey also. We had just departed, when this woman approached me asking for my ticket. We were told that tickets can also be bought on the bus, but I was confused as it was free when we arrived. It was apparent that we had boarded the wrong bus.
This woman was demanding that I pay her forty lev!!!!
I told her that my family was just a little further up the bus, and my hubby would pay. The actual fair was less than in our money about 30 pence. This woman then became quite abrupt with me, her face was right in my face, some other passengers tried to explain our mistake, but she was having none of it. Then this fat controller appeared from nowhere if he was an official?????? He accompanied this rude irate woman up the bus to my hubby and boys!!!!
I could hear her asking my hubby for 30 levs each!!!! That is about 15 pounds!!!! My hubby told her that he only had 20 lev left, he gave it to the fat controller.
The rest of the passengers were trying to help us, but no this pair were not having any of it.
The bus arrived at terminal 2, the woman tried to prevent us from leaving the bus. My family got off, with their cases, but the woman stood in front of my case!!!!
Another passenger grabbed my case and took it off the bus, beckoning me to follow. This woman followed us with the fat man, stating they would call the police. Good said my hubby, by this time I was very distressed, we were followed right into the terminal, the woman caught hold of my coat, she said: "You are Mama you pay"! I pulled my arm away and said I was getting Airport security, with that, the fat man gave my hubby his money back, and they left.

Have you ever had an experience like this?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:24 PM

Re: A frightening experience!!!!!

Sounds like absolute nightmare. That's one holiday destination off my bucket list.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Sounds like absolute nightmare. That's one holiday destination off my bucket list.
I suppose you just have to be aware EZ. The taxis at Gatwick will charge up to £20 to take you to the Gatwick central Travel lodge, that is a 6-minute drive!!!! We have a card for a taxi firm we use, it costs just £6 for the same journey.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Hi

I always use the airport buses.

Never had such a situation, but then I am told that I look like a thug.

That may explain why.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

16-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I always use the airport buses.

Never had such a situation, but then I am told that I look like a thug.

That may explain why.
Oh, Swimmy you are a soppy date
I have seen your pic, you are very handsome.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I suppose you just have to be aware EZ. The taxis at Gatwick will charge up to £20 to take you to the Gatwick central Travel lodge, that is a 6-minute drive!!!! We have a card for a taxi firm we use, it costs just £6 for the same journey.
I have three sons and we use their taxi services where possible. I always hire a car while on holiday and collect it at the airport.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

16-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have three sons and we use their taxi services where possible. I always hire a car while on holiday and collect it at the airport.
That is the best and safest way EZ.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:46 PM

We always use taxi services to and from all overseas resorts so not much chance of us ever getting on the wrong bus.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:56 PM

Awful for you . How frightening .

Mandy my daughter took her little ones to Paris . They bought what they thought were return tickets from camp site to the city for about 20.euros .
At the end of the day out they boarded the same number return bus and showed the tickets to be told the bus they wanted was other side of the city . In 30 degree heat they carried the children across the other side of city , when they boarded the tickets they held were not return but single and the driver had ripped them off as the fare was really only about 30 pence .

I'm glad you had the support of family with you
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

16-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Awful for you . How frightening .

Mandy my daughter took her little ones to Paris . They bought what they thought were return tickets from camp site to the city for about 20.euros .
At the end of the day out they boarded the same number return bus and showed the tickets to be told the bus they wanted was other side of the city . In 30 degree heat they carried the children across the other side of city , when they boarded the tickets they held were not return but single and the driver had ripped them off as the fare was really only about 30 pence .

I'm glad you had the support of family with you
OMG, another story of rip-offs. I think they must target the vulnerable!!!! We can only warn others, Susan.
It is scary when you are away from home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top