Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:36 PM

Re: New or Second hand

Originally Posted by d00d ->
We've got a few knocked off from pubs.
I suspect the ones we have got to the car boot sale by that route........
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
All our antiques, of which we have quite a number, are inherited.
We have a couple of ancient mechanical gramophones. One came from my parents and they bought it second hand.
Beautiful inlaid wood. The other I bought from a friend along with a bunch of records.

Buying new isn't an option for things like that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Hi

It is inevitable that even if you buy new things will after a time have a few signs of wear and tear.

The oak coffee table and huge rug,ex display, a saving of £500 on new and easily sorted.

I am buying solid oak for downstairs, some I am lightening to match, but I find it much cheaper and very rewarding.

The aquarium, nearly new, sold because his wife did not like the colour, he has lost nearly a £1000.

It is black, I am spraying it white, only cost me around £60 to do.

My Ex would only ever buy new, whatever the cost.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Like lots of people, in the past I had no choice but to buy secondhand in fact it's only in recent years I've been able to have the choice to choose new or secondhand furniture . I still have secondhand stuff in my house from when I moved in 15 yrs ago . I bought 2 wardrobes and chest of drawers , a TV table , a small settee , a kitchen table and 4 chairs

All still in good condition .
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 04:00 PM

Nothing the matter with second hand apart from bedding. Sometimes its the only way to find just what you want.
I saw an article on television yesterday and there was a young woman with 2children complaining about not being able to manage on the benifits that she was getting. She admitted to ordering things on credit even though she couldn't afford the repayments. What do you think she was sitting on, none other than a recently advertised on TV leather corner suite obviously brand new. No second hand items in the house whatsoever. I wonder what she will do when it is all repossessed.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 04:12 PM

It's a different world for the young , they want it all now and only the best will do , blow the expense , buy it on the credit card . Whereas I never had expectations , had no money , and had my priorities right as I didn't want debt , couldn't afford debt and was happy with secondhand .

Even one of my kids has debt on the credit card and they have a high income between them . It totally baffles me
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 04:16 PM

We buy most things new, although we have had a few sofas from family which end up passed around like hand-me-downs.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 04:30 PM

I often buy second hand, furniture plus other things, but not electrical items.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 04:40 PM

Second hand most things only things I won't buy used are underwear and bras and trainers.

I've got a lovely wool carpet in the living room, £10 fro. eBay 13 foot by 22 a real bargain

Most recent buy was a coffee table from local hospice shop £12 and they delivered it and took away a cupboard for £5 !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Bought a few bits over the years, better built than modern furniture. Out one day with my mate when he spotted an old church organ, it would not play, so he got it for £3.

After getting it back he was cleaning it to turn it into a writing desk, took tyhe back of and found the weights had come loose,, when restored perfect working insrtument. Bargain.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top