Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Regional greetings

Taking an idea from Tarantula's "Words and phrases that irritate you" thread, what do you add to your initial greeting when you meet someone (or say goodbye) 'round your way?

For instance, we in Yorkshire have a variety of friendly words which we say to others, i.e. "pal", "fella", "love" or "bud". Most of us men folk will simply call each other "mate" (especially if we don't their proper name).

Depending on whom I talking to, I normally use "mate" or "bud", otherwise I'll call them by their real name. If it's in banter at work, it's more likely to be something along the lines of "miserable f****r" or something - but we won't go there right now lol.

How do you address people in everyday situations?

It's okay if you're not from the UK. I'd like to know if Australians really call their friends "Cobber", like Americans use the term "Buddy".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 02:58 PM

Re: Regional greetings

I've gotta ask Floydy . . those names you mentioned 'pal/fella/bud' are presumably all used on your male friends.

How are ladies in Yorkshire greeted? Is it just "love"?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 03:00 PM

Around here, men call other men Hey Buddy.

Women usually say "hey Sally" or if they are really close they would say "honey" or "hon"

If I was meeting a man, I would probably say "how's it going Floyd" or "what's happening Floyd".

I have a close friend called Andrea and I call her and say "what's going on in Andi-Land"
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 03:01 PM

I love to be called Luvy...

I never say "goodbye". I always say "See ya"
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've gotta ask Floydy . . those names you mentioned 'pal/fella/bud' are presumably all used on your male friends.

How are ladies in Yorkshire greeted? Is it just "love"?
Yes that's probably true, Mups, on both counts.
Women are probably "love", although I'm more polite than that usually. I don't tend to call women anything at all (i.e. in shops, etc) just a "thank you" or "bye". Women I know though, such as my friends' wives I'll call by their name or "love". I do call my wife "love" too. That has come with age though - twenty years of marriage has seen me switch from initial names such as "sweetheart" to more usual endings to a discussion like "what are you talking about?"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Coming from the South East it was always 'Mate' but since moving to the SW it seems to be 'Bud or Buddy' so I use a mixture of all three.

As for the ladies.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes that's probably true, Mups, on both counts.
Women are probably "love", although I'm more polite than that usually. I don't tend to call women anything at all (i.e. in shops, etc) just a "thank you" or "bye". Women I know though, such as my friends' wives I'll call by their name or "love". I do call my wife "love" too. That has come with age though - twenty years of marriage has seen me switch from initial names such as "sweetheart" to more usual endings to a discussion like "what are you talking about?"

Haha, I see.

Around here most locals call people "me duck" . It seems to apply to women, men and kids as well - anyone really.
I suppose 'mate' is pretty universal for most men though.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-10-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Coming from the South East it was always 'Mate' but since moving to the SW it seems to be 'Bud or Buddy' so I use a mixture of all three.

As for the ladies.....
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 04:12 PM

I usually say hi, or hello how are you.
I was born in Berkshire.
But I like the Cockney expressions better.
How are you guys just sounds wrong.
I can't post the Cockney ones I would get banned!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 04:47 PM

My Husband would say Mate or Love, but I usually say Hi.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top