Join for free
Page 6 of 19 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 06:55 PM

Re: Jury Service

I was called up for Jury Service back in the 80s at the Old Bailey, I was there for two weeks, I really enjoyed it, two weeks away from work, it was heaven, and the Courts gave you Luncheon Vouchers for your lunch.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I did jury service. The case, brought by a woman against her former partner, was that he had sexually assaulted her young daughter.The charge was brought two years after the alleged incident. A just after the couple split up.

The evidence was full of holes. OK, we retire to the jury room.
I asked for a show of hands for a not guilty. Eleven hands were raised.
One guy said "I'm not sure."
I reminded him of the judges words.
"If you have doubts, you must acquit."

Then it descended into the sort of argument you sometimes see on internet forums.

It took another hour to reach the same not guilty verdict we almost had within the first five minutes.
I, too, was juror #8 on a case. Many of the jurors had made up their minds based on prejudice, not the facts, so I made them consider and discuss the facts - that's what a jury is, collectively, supposed to do after the judge has "summed-up".
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 07:44 PM

I was called for Jury service a couple of years ago.
I turned up at court and was shown into a room with about 30 people for a briefing.
We were give a talk about not discussing the case with anyone outside the jury room and that included in the loos where we might encounter family or friends of the accused. Because of parking difficulties I had decided to go to court by train and it wasn't until we had the briefing that I was made aware friends and family of the accused could be on the same train and recognise me which was slightly alarming.

We were then sent home and given a phone number to ring and a code word to say at a certain time every evening to see if we were required the following day. After two weeks if not required we could stand down.
I am happy to say I was not required.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
How about afterwards,are you allowed to talk about the case and how you (jury) came to make the decision.
You are not aloud to say any thing about what is said in the Jury room.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
You are not aloud to say any thing about what is said in the Jury room.
That's right, not even to your wife or husband.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was called for Jury service a couple of years ago.
I turned up at court and was shown into a room with about 30 people for a briefing.
We were give a talk about not discussing the case with anyone outside the jury room and that included in the loos where we might encounter family or friends of the accused. Because of parking difficulties I had decided to go to court by train and it wasn't until we had the briefing that I was made aware friends and family of the accused could be on the same train and recognise me which was slightly alarming.

We were then sent home and given a phone number to ring and a code word to say at a certain time every evening to see if we were required the following day. After two weeks if not required we could stand down.
I am happy to say I was not required.
Oh, Meg, there is a lot to think about. I am reading every post.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's right, not even to your wife or husband.
My neighbour told me all about his. It was one of the worst cases!!!!
I also know someone that was on the Moors Murders trial.
There is still stuff, that has NEVER been published.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
My neighbour told me all about his. It was one of the worst cases!!!!
I also know someone that was on the Moors Murders trial.
There is still stuff, that has NEVER been published.
Of course. If they arrested everyone that spoke about the case there wouldn't be enough jurors.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I was called up for Jury Service back in the 80s at the Old Bailey, I was there for two weeks, I really enjoyed it, two weeks away from work, it was heaven, and the Courts gave you Luncheon Vouchers for your lunch.
I loved Jury service and was called up 3 times. once at the Baily and twice to Snaresbrook

Best thing was me being self employed I not only got luncheon vouchers I got £200 a week tax free.

PS If you are employed by a company they have to pay the wages you will lose.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I loved Jury service and was called up 3 times. once at the Baily and twice to Snaresbrook

Best thing was me being self employed I not only got luncheon vouchers I got £200 a week tax free.

PS If you are employed by a company they have to pay the wages you will lose.
IIRC, I worked for a local authority at the time of my jury service - they continued paying me my salary but I had to pay them any daily allowances (but not expenses) that were paid to me.

Page 6 of 19 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top