Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 02:25 AM

Re: Good friday ..

This is definitely a bad Friday for me so far.
It's bucketing down with rain. On waking up I find we have no electric power.
Contacting the power company, I get the message 'restoration at 10am.
That changed to 10:30 and now the word is restoration at 11:30.
So down to the shed, fuel up the generator, pulled the cord three times.
The thing wouldn't start. Pulled the cord again and it breaks.
Installed a new cord and bingo, got it started this time.
Have a lovely Easter everyone.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 03:58 AM

Why do more people eat fish on Good Friday than any other day of the year? What does that signify? I thought Jesus was a carpenter, not a trawlerman.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 05:19 AM

Back in the mists of time at sunday school I was told that his disciples used to be fishermen and he was a fisher of men.(clever eh ?)Something like that anyway.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Why do more people eat fish on Good Friday than any other day of the year? What does that signify? I thought Jesus was a carpenter, not a trawlerman.
I don't know if it is still the case, but the Catholic Church used to decree that all Catholics should refrain from eating meat one day a week, and that day was designated as a Friday.
It wasn't just Good Friday, it was every Friday.

So instead of eating meat, Catholics would eat fish. From that, a tradition grew up that Friday was fish day.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I don't know if it is still the case, but the Catholic Church used to decree that all Catholics should refrain from eating meat one day a week, and that day was designated as a Friday.
It wasn't just Good Friday, it was every Friday.

So instead of eating meat, Catholics would eat fish. From that, a tradition grew up that Friday was fish day.
No it is just on Good Friday now , if we didn't eat fish , we would eat bake macaroni.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I think I remember Jesus being called a fisher of men somewhere on a boat with his disciples.

https://www.gotquestions.org/fishers-of-men.html
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top