Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Re: Sir David Attenborough says ...

Well if I'm honest I don't think the folks making the money will stop until there is nothing left.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Too little, too late and not enough and not soon enough to make a difference. Nature is generous, but unforgiving and nobody can be sure if humanity has already cast the die.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...enborough.html

The television presenter said that humans are threatening their own existence and that of other species by using up the world’s resources.

He said the only way to save the planet from famine and species extinction is to limit human population growth.

“We are a plague on the Earth. It’s coming home to roost over the next 50 years or so. It’s not just climate change; it’s sheer space, places to grow food for this enormous horde. Either we limit our population growth or the natural world will do it for us, and the natural world is doing it for us right now,” he told the Radio Times.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Just seen pics, of an orangutan trying to fend off a digger as it destroys its home, the rainforest, all to produce palm oil, very sad,
Because of that, they are going into villages to find food, and subsequently being killed by the villagers. I saw one picture the other day of a mother and baby. The mother had been put in heavy chains that were padlocked, and thrown in to water to drown. They managed to save the baby.
It is heart breaking to see and to realise what is happening .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Well if I'm honest I don't think the folks making the money will stop until there is nothing left.
Exactly so.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 01:11 PM

ditto
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 01:22 PM

About forty years ago, I did an OU course on Health and Disease.
Part of the course was studying Epidemiology, or the science of epidemics.

Even then, we were well overdue for a pandemic...... a world-wide 'plague' if you like, that would reduce and then limit our population growth.

Maybe that is what will happen. It might be due to our overuse of antibiotics, and our unwillingness to stop using them for trivial purposes or for virus infections on which antibiotics have absolutely no effect, or it may be a mutation from an animal virus, as the animal populations decrease, or it may be something else.

And serve us right.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

19-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Something else being an extinction level event from a meteor.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 02:31 PM

As JBR mentioned in another thread, we could start to reverse some of these problems straight away by limiting the number of babies born across the world.

Population is EVERYTHING.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
"We are facing a man-made disaster on a global scale" ...... "if we have not taken dramatic action within the next decade, we could face irreversible damage to the natural world and the collapse of our societies".
Here's the Attenborough graph

Is it possible to slow that down in just one decade?

And when he says, "the collapse of our societies", does he mean bat colonies in the Australian outback, or us!?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 05:15 PM

They make money only if people buy their products.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top