Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 08:49 PM

Re: Anyone else dreading another baking Summer?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Seconded !
I didn't realise it was that hot last year!
I was in Bulgaria when you lot had a heatwave.
I came back, and all the grass was dead, and the trees were shedding leaves, through lack of rain.
I am enjoying this heat.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 10:05 PM

I remember big cracks in our lawn in 76, although there was no lawn in the end, just dry earth with cracks. It was wonderful as a child but probably not so nice for adults, particularly when they rationed water which I think they were doing then. Were they not stopping us from flushing our loos more than once a day? Or was that a different 70s emergency?

I've nothing against nice weather just hoping for a normal British summer this year. Commuting to work was hell last year. I love summer rain. Makes the garden bloom.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Hopefully not another like last year. Been scorching here today, and too hot to do any gardening. The birds are already finding difficulty to dig for worms as we have had hardly any rainfall over the last couple of weeks.
Tonight brings back the memories of sleepless nights as it is already stuffy with no air flow.... we can hope for a typical English summer, but I doubt that will please us either.

They can go to the moon and mars and find black holes... why can't they sort the weather out ?
Must admit some of the flowering bushes and shrubs have so far been magnificent this year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 10:38 PM

I don't like either extreme, not extra hot or cold.
I love the sun and the warmth, today was perfect, it is just when it gets very hot and it's relentless, I struggle.

At least when it's cold we can turn the heating up or put another layer on, but that extreme heat of last summer got to me after a while.

I remember even the air we breathed was so hot, and several times I didn't feel too good, as I felt I couldn't get enough air, awful feeling.
Even with fans running the house wouldn't cool down.

Another problem with that heat for me, was the number of insects it brought out.
Some of you might remember I can react bad to certain bites and twice ended up at the docs for Penicillin last summer.
I remember my Mum being just the same.

Don't know about anyone else, but so far this spring I have been getting those huge Queen wasps coming in the kitchen if I have the back door open. I'm scared of those darn things.
Also the wretched Gnats/Mozzies have started too, and I can get reactions to their bites too.

I'm not usually a miserable old wotsit, but these flying insects do worry me. They would you too, if you had a bite 11" across like I had last year!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Oh yes I remember your bite Mups. Fingers crossed for you that won't happen this year.

I ended up in the urgent care centre last summer with an allergic reaction to what I think was a black fly bite. Pretty horrid all round.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Oh yes I remember your bite Mups. Fingers crossed for you that won't happen this year.

I ended up in the urgent care centre last summer with an allergic reaction to what I think was a black fly bite. Pretty horrid all round.

Horrible, isn't it Annie. These bites hurt, burn and ache so much too.

I am nearly paranoid checking my bedroom ceiling before I get into bed, because else you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a little blighter lurking in a corner, that zooms down and bites me during the night.
I woke up one morning ages ago, with a huge swollen eye where I'd been got at during the night! Looked like I'd been boxing.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by peripheral ->
Who remembers 1976?
Yes, I do. Daughter had just started school & we had a paddling pool in the garden & all the kids used it, then one day a little green frog came to have a swim in it. We had to empty it & couldn't fill it again. The kids were furious.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top