Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Anyone Heard Of FODMAP eating plan for IBS

This is a way of treating IBS which works for a lot of people.
It was first started in Australia and it was found that certain types of sugars are poorly absorbed by the intestines and this is where they they then ferment causing bloating and pain and sometimes diarrhoea and cramps.
The problem is that these sugars are present in most of what we eat on a daily basis in the Western world.
Two of the biggest culprits are grains/cereals and milk/milk products where there is lactose present.
Another major one for many people is onions and garlic, that is a difficult one.
I am giving this way of eating a go however as it would be worth it for me I feel, anyone else tried it ?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Re: Anyone Heard Of FODMAP eating plan for IBS

Well Anita I have had IBS for years, when one day my Post Lady said to me, that her Dad always had it and suggested that he cuts out Dairy products but has Soya instead, so I tried it, I have Soya Milk, Soya Marg. Soya Yogurts and within two weeks my IBS stopped, I have been on the Soya now for 4 years and not had IBS since. Give it a try.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:15 AM

It sounds that you do have sensitivity to lactose, I have tried many things over the years and I did use soya milk for about 2 years. It was an improvement at first but went back to how it was after a bit though I was very strict about it. I think I have a problem with cereal and especially wheat so that was why I thought I'd try this plan as it eliminates wheat, rye, barley and bulgar wheat which all have the sugars you can't digest if sensitive.
Apparently about 60PC of us don't have the ability to digest wheat properly causing digestive problems.
I hate faddy or fashionable 'diets' but I have a real wish to not have such misery with stomach issues.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:17 AM

My daughter was having terrible problems with bloating and stomach pain / cramps. At first she thought it might be due to the pill but after seeing the doctor and having tests it turns out she is lactose intolerant..

Now on a lactose free diet her symptoms have vanished!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:17 AM

IBS and lactose intolerance seem to have pretty much the same symptoms. I am lactose intolerant and I am mostly careful with dairy products. I can buy lactose free milk but rarely do because I use very little milk and find that fully skimmed is okay when I do need it. I never touch dairy cream I use only Elmlea, and quite honestly I defy anyone to tell the difference. With some foods I do "indulge" now and then but only if there is a ladies room within a short distance because yes, the effects really can be that bad.
Anita
Midlands, UK

24-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Cheese is another dairy source. according to the eating plan I'm going to try, cream cheeses are a problem but hard cheese not so much and there are some like Brie and the Dutch cheeses that can be eaten. It depends on whether the sugars from the milk remain I would think.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 12:57 PM

My husband had IBS for years he cleared his and rarely has a problem now by cutting out bread and cutting down on dairy. GP thought he obviously never had it if he could cure it, sad they didn't take notice and investigate it because that was over 20 years ago.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 01:06 PM

My son found out he'd got IBS about a year ago, and cut back on all dairy products, and lost 3 stone in weight, i've never seen him look so slim before, and he seem's much healthier... Apart from having the odd ciggy, that's a bad habit though...
Anita
Midlands, UK

24-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband had IBS for years he cleared his and rarely has a problem now by cutting out bread and cutting down on dairy. GP thought he obviously never had it if he could cure it, sad they didn't take notice and investigate it because that was over 20 years ago.
The medical profession as in your GP, are not the best people to deal with IBs and most will say that they haven't a clue what causes it if asked outright.
They don't have any training on it and there weren't any answers anyway until recently, some research was finally done at Kings College London and eliminating certain foods which contain certain types of sugars has been found to be the best way of dealing with it.
It's not actually a cure as the body will still not be able to deal with the sugars but by not eating the foods the symptoms should get better. I think a lot of people have worked out their own way of keeping it at bay as your husband did Julie.
I tried cutting out dairy which didn't work and I tried cutting out wheat which didn't work but I didn't know that it is both plus barley and rye also. I assumed wrongly that rye would be ok and used to eat rye crackers etc when I cut out wheat previously.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Why not go species-appropriate, Paleo, instead?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top