Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 04:04 PM

Re: Anyone Heard Of FODMAP eating plan for IBS

I never understand the paleo idea, I would guess if many of our foods had been around then we would have eaten them, and also in paleo times we needed different foods to exist as we did far more exercise than we do these days and even went without food when there wasn't any.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I never understand the paleo idea, I would guess if many of our foods had been around then we would have eaten them, and also in paleo times we needed different foods to exist as we did far more exercise than we do these days and even went without food when there wasn't any.
It's not too difficult to understand when you think about it like this: humans have been around for about 2 million years - our diet has been 'paleo' for the large majority of that time. Grains/legumes/pulses etc were only introduced into our diets some 10,000 years ago. The western diet (artificial additives, GMO, highly processed foods etc) has changed even more dramatically in the last 100 years.

In short, our bodies were never designed to eat the rubbish so many of us feed it now, and that results in disease (shown over and over again in studies focusing on things like processed sugars, grains, etc).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 04:23 PM

I understand that but our bodies have changed in that time too and as I said the exercise we would have had in those days would be different to today too.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 06:30 PM

Actually genetically, humans have remained pretty much the same.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Yes....FODMAP

Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides And Molyols.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 07:35 PM

My dietician gave me a FODMAP diet sheet, it hasn't changed my symptoms one bit, only my own trial and error has helped. I have a very restricted diet and know if I plan to go out I have to stick to a little cereal the day before and not eat anything at all on the day I go out. My BIL follows this FODMAP religiously for diverticulitis, it seems to work for him.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 07:43 PM

*sigh* Another eating plan. If it really helped. I mean REALLY helped. There would be no need for medication for sufferers of IBS. Think about it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 07:46 PM

I refuse to try any more medication, nothing works it just gives the doctors time to think up something else to stop you getting a proper diagnosis. I'm just going to go by my gut instinct!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
*sigh* Another eating plan. If it really helped. I mean REALLY helped. There would be no need for medication for sufferers of IBS. Think about it.
Most IBS sufferers don't need medication, they can manage their IBS by carefully avoiding foods that they have found triggers irritating the bowel, and by trying to avoid stress which can be another trigger.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Most IBS sufferers don't need medication, they can manage their IBS by carefully avoiding foods that they have found triggers irritating the bowel, and by trying to avoid stress which can be another trigger.
I agree Pats, my husband being one of them. He was prescribed medication when first diagnosed but still had frequent flare ups so we changed his diet ....soya milk replaced dairy milk and he stopped eating wheat products, they were the two big changes. I'm pleased to say he hasn't had an attack for over a year now.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top