Join for free
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Re: Is editing photos fair?

I have always tried to be supportive of all the photography threads on this site, there are some very good photographers that no longer post on here , i cant say i blame them, i wont post in the competition threads in future.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I have always tried to be supportive of all the photography threads on this site, there are some very good photographers that no longer post on here , i cant say i blame them, i wont post in the competition threads in future.
I am sorry to hear that Nom, I always enjoy looking at your photos.
Adjustments for clarity and lighting are something that photographers have always done, but I do feel that, in a competition, all entries should be offered on an equal basis.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
i wont post in the competition threads in future.
Why is that Nom are you going to let the silliness of a few deprive us of your lovely photographs...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 01:14 PM

Hi

I will seriously miss your photos Nom, they are stunning.

My photos are rubbish, just snaps and I don't even own a photo editing thingy, much less know how to use one.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Something seems to have happened recently that has made me question whether what I am posting is, or has been, fair. The subtle differences between what my 'point-and-shoot' camera saw and the slightly enhanced (brightness - contrast - sharpness) photos posted are now going to be suspect. Although I see nothing wrong with the few edits mentioned, the fact that others might I think will stop me from posting photos in the competition.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I will seriously miss your photos Nom, they are stunning.

My photos are rubbish, just snaps and I don't even own a photo editing thingy, much less know how to use one.
Mine are the same Gibbs, I just enter them to make up the numbers and they do help to highlight the better photographers among us
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mine are the same Gibbs, I just enter them to make up the numbers and they do help to highlight the better photographers among us
You are right Meg! Tootsweet puts professional photos on here almost every day, and they are beautiful, but many of our own member's photos are equally good. It would be a shame to lose them from our photo competitions.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 01:40 PM

Who has hidden anything away Ruthio would you care to elaborate.
Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I think Ruthio is referring to post No 8 ... apologies to Ruthio if I am mistaken.
Thanks myrtle...meg I was referring to your suggestion that the subject be discussed privately in PMs......here...

Firstly I will say the competition on here is the domain of Mags and if anyone has any concerns about the content of photograph entries the best thing to do is to contact Mags by PM or start a thread in Contact a Moderator rather than discussing it in the thread.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-10-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks myrtle...meg I was referring to your suggestion that the subject be discussed privately in PMs......here...
Ruthio nowhere have I suggested 'the subject should be discussed in private' only that if ''anyone has any concerns about the content of photograph entries'' which of course appear in the photography thread ..
'the best thing to do is to contact Mags by PM or start a thread in Contact a Moderator rather than discussing it in the thread' meaning don't spoil the competition thread by filling it full of not very pleasant comments about members photographs.

That to me just seems to be a matter of politeness and has nothing to do with 'hiding things away'.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 02:07 PM

Please, Please, Please, Mart and Nom do not stop posting your excellent photos it is one of the more 'saner' corners of the forum and it would be a dagger to the heart of the forum.

When does photography become art?...(no not you Arty) The excellent photo of the brave men working high on the crane is a must see photo. Magnification and enhancement would not (in my book) constitute illegal practices in a photo competition. The picture of the Telephone Boxes submitted by Malcolm is excellence of a different kind, it is art. I wouldn't want to be denied the chance to see either of those two pictures but they fall into different categories: Caught on camera (right place at the right time and the ability to recognise an interesting shot) And secondly, a picture that speaks to the viewer (through feeling just like any other piece of good artwork).....They are both brilliant but for different reasons - Would you compare the Beetles to Beethoven? Impossible.

There was some hard and skilled work involved in the 'Telephone Boxes' and a good eye for detail in the 'Crane' both should be allowed but perhaps in different categories; Say, Art and Enhancement and Standard Photograph (with only adjustments to light, cropping and magnification allowed) Then we can have two winners for the price of one.

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top