Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Re: Eating fruit

Like everything really, you have to take what anyone says with a pinch of salt - if it doesn't seem to add up, it probably doesn't

Re what the OP posted, some good info, some not so good and some scaremongering.

I generally don't drink water 30 mins before a meal and 1 hour after a meal - because I was told it makes things harder for your digestive system. However a little sip within that time doesn't bother me.

Strawberries - I steer clear from! They are often GM and also are very high in natural sugar.

Other bits here and there I would disagree with too - but then I think most would.

Please keep it amicable guys - anything posted on a forum is subject to being questioned... that's what forums are all about
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Strawberries - I steer clear from! They are often GM and also are very high in natural sugar. [/I]
Whoops, I've just eaten a whole punnet from Tescos. Lovely they were too.
As for cold drinks that's all I have all day, cold milk straight from the fridge, before and after eating and my cholesterol's just fine.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Strawberries - I steer clear from! They are often GM and also are very high in natural sugar.
Must admit I seldom consider whether foods are GM. What is the risk of eating GM fruits or other modified foods? Does anyone know?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Did anyone see the piece on bananas on BBC1 last night?. People were asked to name various types of bananas and nobody could (neither could I), they were great at apples but slipped up on bananas. It seems the banana we are eating today is called 'The Cavendish Banana', the other popular one (forget the name of it) was wiped out in the 1950's by Panama Disease, and the Cavendish banana is now facing danger but may be saved by the GM experts, God, is anything safe from them!,
kena
New Member!
US
kena is female 

24-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Eating fruit like that plays a major role in detoxifying your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities. It's nice to have a cold drink after a meal, however, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you've just consumed, which slows digestion.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Slightly off topic because it doesn't related to the anonymous email posted above but I heard an item on the radio yesterday about various food related health claims and scares. We have all read the kind of thing, one day red wine helps prevent heart disease the next day it causes cancer .

The item pointed out that the journalists who write these articles particularly in the 'popular press' are merely posting a story to create interest and prompt people to buy the paper, they often have no interest in or knowledge of any scientific validity of the claim. Sometimes they may have gleaned a few details from a scientific paper they have read and failed to fully understand , they then go on to write an article which may be completely misleading.

I thought this was an interesting observation, although scurrilous stories in the media may be seen for what they are, I think there may be a tendency for people to take health related articles more seriously when they are nothing more than 'stories' with little foundation.
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Good article Topaz.

The high content of vitamin C in fruits can help reduce heart disease and many other illnesses. Although some fruits have a high acid content and taking too much of these can set your PH levels out making the body too acidic. I think this can be balanced by eating more vegetables that have a higher alkaline content.

Green juices are the way to go!
Juice green leafy vegetables and add some ginger and a lemon or apple to it.

Green juices are the best nutritional medicine you could give to your body for regenerating and feeding your cells.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 12:25 PM

It may be worth learning more about the role of Fructose consumption in obesity.
Here is an interview with one of the FRUCTOSE experts being interviewed by Jimmy Moore.
The LLVLC Show (Episode 630): Dr. Richard Johnson Shifts Obesity Culprit Position From Fructose To All Carbohydrates

Mercola has an extended interview with Dr Johnson here

How to lose weight: Avoid fruit
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by inthemoment777 ->
Good article Topaz.

The high content of vitamin C in fruits can help reduce heart disease and many other illnesses. Although some fruits have a high acid content and taking too much of these can set your PH levels out making the body too acidic. I think this can be balanced by eating more vegetables that have a higher alkaline content.

Green juices are the way to go!
Juice green leafy vegetables and add some ginger and a lemon or apple to it.

Green juices are the best nutritional medicine you could give to your body for regenerating and feeding your cells.
Green leafy veg, contains vit K, which is not good for people with some (if not all) heart probs. Vit K thickens the blood Warfarin is given to thin the blood down. Cranberry and grapefruit both vit C also also work against some heart meds. Don't just assume what is good for one is good for all.Do like ginger and lemon juice though and together make to me a very nice drink, and hope it does me some good.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
Green leafy veg, contains vit K, which is not good for people with some (if not all) heart probs.
I think we should be very careful about suggesting that Vit K is potential harmful as for most people improving Vitamin K status is the best way of preventing calcification of the arteries.
If we want a better flow of blood through the veins then preventing them getting clogged up with calcium deposits.
It's inflammation that leads to the damage (plaque build up) that includes the excess calcium being trafficked in blood.
So the answer is to reduce excess calcium supplementation (no more than 600mg/daily from supplements + improve diet/water calcium sources as dietary calcium safer than supplemental calcium) while also improving ANTI-Inflammatory status. (ie raise Vit d to 125nmol/l where it is most effective as anti-inflammatory agent)

Vit K thickens the blood Warfarin is given to thin the blood down.
But normal healthy people shouldn't be taking Warfarin. Throughout human evolution the ability of blood to clot was essential for survival. The cause is not Warfarin deficiency. We should be looking at diet/lifestyle that gives rise to the need for warfarin. We should be treating causes NOT SYMPTOMS.

Cranberry and grapefruit both vit C also also work against some heart meds.
As indeed do some heart meds work against the principles of simple common sense.
The diet promoted for heart disease CAUSES HEART DISEASE.
Making diets less healthy (more inflammatory) inevitably leads to more work for health professionals.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top