Join for free
Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

Hi

All political parties agreed to accept the result of the Referendum, so out we go.

A lot of voters, myself included, have had enough of the Political Elite, of whatever party, deciding what is best for us and getting the UK into a mess.

They are totally out of touch with real life.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Attributed to M Twain:

"If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn't Let Us Do It".

But in this case it did make a difference.I said some time ago May was in a pile of dog do and didn't have the shoes for it,I've not seen anything to change my mind,she want's to run with fox and hunt with the hounds.Sadly because of it I think the remainers will get their second vote.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Solasch;1546879]
Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Agree with all of that although I do believe we have more grounding of democracy than the other bunch from the EU Parliament, most of whom have grown up in Eastern block countries, and so their 'ideas ' of democracy is very different to ours.

QUOTE]

Forgot about greece and italy where democracy was invented when the celts were scourging the green hills of england. And where did the french aristocracy flee when the french people brought democracy about?

Your referendum was never more than an advice to your government. An advice they should have ignored in the interest of their citizens.
Greece did have the first democracy, however, they also had the Junta in the 1970s' , Italy had Mussolini, Spain had Franco, Poland had the USSR, Germany had Hitler, etc. To recover a country from such dictatorships does not happen overnight. So as said, most of the parliamentary leaders in the EU have grown up with a background of dictatorships.
Italy also has had 46 Prime ministers since 1946. Stability or what ?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 01:46 PM

People who voted to leave would have been a lot more gracious about the referendum if the result had been to remain.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
People who voted to leave would have been a lot more gracious about the referendum if the result had been to remain.
Look how long we waited for another referendum ! Remainers wanted one within minutes !
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1546902]
Originally Posted by Solasch ->

Greece did have the first democracy, however, they also had the Junta in the 1970s' , Italy had Mussolini, Spain had Franco, Poland had the USSR, Germany had Hitler, etc. To recover a country from such dictatorships does not happen overnight. So as said, most of the parliamentary leaders in the EU have grown up with a background of dictatorships.
Italy also has had 46 Prime ministers since 1946. Stability or what ?
Once you have lived under the boot of an oppressor you don't accept another one. Therefore the EU may be sluggish, it is a direct democratic organisation. Most of the instability in the EU parliament was caused by the the UK that wanted preferential treatment on any issue.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Solasch;1546921]
Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->

Once you have lived under the boot of an oppressor you don't accept another one. Therefore the EU may be sluggish, it is a direct democratic organisation. Most of the instability in the EU parliament was caused by the the UK that wanted preferential treatment on any issue.
Was that because they were being dictated to by EU Parliamentarians who had little idea about 'our' democracy ?

Therefore I suggest on holding that thought of yours, and it would seem to be a good idea we are leaving. Yeh !
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=Judd;1546883]

What nonsense. A typical response of those who voted to remain. Nowhere in the run-up to the referendum or after it did it say that the vote was advisory. In his speech after the result, David Cameron stated in the Commons that the will of the people as been heard and should be heeded.

From his speech:

"Mr Speaker, the British people have voted to leave the European Union. It was not the result I wanted – nor the outcome that I believed is best for the country I love. But there can be no doubt about the result.

Of course, I don’t take back what I said about the risks. It is going to be difficult. We have already seen that there are going to be adjustments within our economy, complex constitutional issues, and a challenging new negotiation to undertake with Europe. But I am clear – and the Cabinet agreed this morning – that the decision must be accepted and the process of implementing the decision in the best possible way must now begin."

You can read the full article here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...m-27-june-2016
Why do you think Cameron had to declare beforehand that the outcome of the referendum would be followed. If it was NOT advisory that was superfluous.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-10-2018, 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1546922]

Was that because they were being dictated to by EU Parliamentarians who had little idea about 'our' democracy ?

Therefore I suggest on holding that thought of yours, and it would seem to be a good idea we are leaving. Yeh !
That is why I am quite happy you are leaving. From the point of UK interests however, it is a stupid move.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Ask yourself, Is democracy representative any more?
In a*representative democracy*the citizens elect representatives from among themselves. These representatives meet to form a governing body, such as a*legislature. In a*constitutional democracy*the powers of the majority are exercised within the framework of a representative democracy, but the constitution limits the majority and protects the minority, usually through the enjoyment by all of certain individual rights, e.g. freedom of speech, or freedom of association.

This forum could only exist in a true democracy........so yes.

Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top