Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

29-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Brexit will reward international investors, not ordinary Leave voters

If the normal folk (Edit: swimfeeders is not the norm) who have been conned into voting leave via tales of past glories and sovereignty would only for a mere few minutes let their guarded pride down, they would realise they have been absolutely duped by the leaders who claim to be leading them. It's desperately sad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/b...N9Hh6-Lzs2In-Q
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Re: Brexit will reward international investors, not ordinary Leave voters

This is nothing new, overnight millions were made by speculators following the vote in 2016. Money was pumped into press campaigns to ensure it went the way it did. My friend, a journalist, confirms that it was all bent. After the vote the pressure disappeared.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
If the normal folk who have been conned into voting leave via tales of past glories and sovereignty would only for a mere few minutes let their guarded pride down, they would realise they have been absolutely duped by the leaders who claim to be leading them. It's desperately sad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/b...N9Hh6-Lzs2In-Q

Hi

I did not vote Leave because of past glories, I left because the EU is simply not for me.

I doubt very much that my bits of foreign currency, Zloty, US Dollars, Thai Baht, HK Dollars etc will have much of an effect on the £ Exchange Rate.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

29-09-2019, 01:06 PM

"Privatisation and deregulation

A rare articulation of these issues from within the hedge fund sector comes from Rami Cassis, chief executive of Parabellum Investments in the City. In a letter to the Financial Times and a recent article, he says hedge funds may be among the chief beneficiaries of a cliff-edge Brexit. It enables the UK to “cut loose from EU regulation and compete as a low-tax haven on its doorstep”. That could turbo-charge inward investment in the UK. A weaker UK economy may only be able to deliver higher public spending through privatisations and deregulation of environmental and working conditions.

Cassis says “this is an investment-driven agenda which appeals to international investors, like myself, but has little obvious benefit for millions of ordinary people who voted Leave . . . The real prize is to create a business-friendly environment with fewer protections for workers, no controls on banker bonuses, lower corporation taxes and, most likely, further privatisation of public services . . . Far from being pilot of its own destiny, it also looks like the UK may be willing to trade one master for a more business-friendly one – the US instead of the EU”, notably in employment and healthcare rights."
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

29-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I did not vote Leave because of past glories, I left because the EU is simply not for me.

I doubt very much that my bits of foreign currency, Zloty, US Dollars, Thai Baht, HK Dollars etc will have much of an effect on the £ Exchange Rate.
That is fair enough and I accept your situation, but your are in the minority. If you are honest with yourself about this situation you know fine well that leavers were mis-sold a product. Either way, lets stick to the article
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

29-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This is nothing new, overnight millions were made by speculators following the vote in 2016. Money was pumped into press campaigns to ensure it went the way it did. My friend, a journalist, confirms that it was all bent. After the vote the pressure disappeared.
100% spot on. My concerns are that what you write about are collectively labelled 'scare mongering'. It's utterly shocking how a term can so easily be stamped on inconvenient truths. Pride can be an awful thing.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
That is fair enough and I accept your situation, but your are in the minority. If you are honest with yourself about this situation you know fine well that leavers were mis-sold a product. Either way, lets stick to the article
Hi

I am sticking to the OP.

I am not an idiot, didn't believe the £350 million a week on the side of the bus etc, so please do not treat as an easily conned Little Englander.

I know Politicians lie, I worked for them.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:20 PM

The article explains very clearly why Hedge funds are interested in Brexit because at the current moment, their business dealings are hampered by controls brought in by the EU to prevent another banking crisis. These controls restrict the amount of risk investors can take and investors do not like that because the more risk that is involved, the more money based on that risk they can make.

The UK leaving the EU means the UK will no longer be under these restrictions by the EU BUT the UK does have it's own controls in place to prevent too much risk taking place thereby it still not being easy for investors to take high risks and cause another banking crisis.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The article explains very clearly why Hedge funds are interested in Brexit because at the current moment, their business dealings are hampered by controls brought in by the EU to prevent another banking crisis. These controls restrict the amount of risk investors can take and investors do not like that because the more risk that is involved, the more money based on that risk they can make.

The UK leaving the EU means the UK will no longer be under these restrictions by the EU BUT the UK does have it's own controls in place to prevent too much risk taking place thereby it still not being easy for investors to take high risks and cause another banking crisis.
No, the EU restriction will remain in control. The EU (Withdrawal) Bill (popularly known as the “Great Repeal Bill”) was introduced into Parliament on 13 July. The Bill will do three key things. First, it will repeal the European Communities Act, which was passed in 1972 order to enable the UK to join what is now the EU. Second, it will turn nearly all existing EU law into UK law. A snapshot of the EU laws that exist just before Brexit will be taken, and those EU laws will become national laws.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

29-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am sticking to the OP.

I am not an idiot, didn't believe the £350 million a week on the side of the bus etc, so please do not treat as an easily conned Little Englander.

I know Politicians lie, I worked for them.
It is impossible not to generalise on an online forum. I have already said that I understand that some people will benefit and I accept that perhaps you will. The vast majority will not.

In any case, it is likely there will be a 2+ year extension by the end of October.

Check out my edit

Now don't you feel special

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top