Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Re: Dieting

Hi to you poppycock, I should like to join you on your journey to skinnyness. We will keep in touch and I will let you know how hubs and I are getting on and I will be very interested to hear how you get on.

I love omlettes and bacon and egg, I also enjoy cream cheese and celery as a snack. Just beware of peanuts, fizzy drinks and cheese. The peanuts are so moreish that you end up eating too many, the fizzy drinks seem to slow down your weight loss for some reason and cheese is also delicious and you tend to over do it.

Any help I can give I shall be pleased to pass on, I have the books and can look it up for you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the daily menu Cate, it does sound so easy.

Can you tell me what the induction period is that they tell you to do before you start the diet?
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 09:32 PM

The Atkins certainly sounds very good. The only thing is I couldn't face doing any cooking for Breakfast. I'm usually starving & Porridge in the Microwave is about as much cooking as I will do. I don't fancy meat for breakfast either
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 11:56 PM

I think I might be able to do bacon first thing but I dont usually have breakfast, yes cookiecate us shall be the skinny folk its good to do it with another person and i had nobody to compare with so let our journey of thinness begin on monday
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks for the daily menu Cate, it does sound so easy.

Can you tell me what the induction period is that they tell you to do before you start the diet?
The induction lasts for minimum 14 days but depending on how much you want to lose it can go on for longer.

The rules are quite strict for the induction but it helps to be firm with yourself. You may find that you don't feel 100% as you are addicted to sugar and carbs and actually feel withdrawal headachy and some flu symptoms. Usually this occurs if you have been a heavy sugar and carb user.

You should only eat 20grams of carbs each day there is a good site on the internet that most Atkins dieters use it is called Fitday Google it and you can keep up to date with how many carbs you eat.

Drink 64oz of water I drink peppermint tea, ginger and lemon tea and fruit teas. First thing we have a decaffe coffee with cream as milk contains sugar in the form of lactose.

I will tell you more about the induction as you need it you will start to feel really well after the first 48hrs. Loads of energy and your get up and go doesn't get up and go.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-02-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
The Atkins certainly sounds very good. The only thing is I couldn't face doing any cooking for Breakfast. I'm usually starving & Porridge in the Microwave is about as much cooking as I will do. I don't fancy meat for breakfast either
Lynne the odd thing about Atkins is that you never really feel starving, you eat because you need to. How about some hard boiled eggs in the fridge ready with some cheese and ham for brekky?
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 10:59 AM

LADY ANGLER If I can be any help when you start low carbing please give me a shout. I have all the books and recipes and me and hubs have done Atkins several times and lost a lot of weight which we have foolishly put back on.
Thanks Cate.Thinking of starting in March.Will keep an eye on this thread for any tips and info you have.....
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Thank you so much edenhazard, we have been doing Atkins for a long time now on and off and this is the first time I have come to it fully understanding how it works.

During Induction your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat so you need to stop eating carbs so that you stabilize blood sugar levels. We will feel physically better when burning fuel found in proteins and fats.l

Typically you will find your appetite reduces and a dramatic increase in energy.

Remember eat three meals a day this is important as you need to keep your metabolism going.

Eat no more that 20 grams of carbs.

Now I know you will be asking what kind of foods can I eat?

Well you can eat a liberal amount of eggs, fish including shellfish, meat including beef, pork, chicken turkey, lamb, duck and game.

Eat until you are full but don't over eat.

You can have lots of fats and oils including butter, olive oil, mayonnaise and any oil that is liquid at room temperature, don't eat hydrogenated or trans fats such as margarine.

You can have herbs, spices as long as they don;t contain sugar.

Cheese cheddar full-fat soft is limited to 3-4oz daily.

Cottage cheese is too high in carbs for the induction.

You can have up to 12oz salad vegetables such as all leafy green veg, mushrooms, celery, radishes, green peppers, cucumber.

OR

You can have 8oz of the above salad veg and 7oz of Artichoke hears, asparagus, Aubergine, bean sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, french beans, kohlrabi, mange-tout, okra, onion, pumpkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, spring onions, tomato, turnip, water chestnuts.

You may also have as a snack maybe up to 20 olives or half a small avocado, and three tablespoons of any type of cream except the sweetened one of course.

You musst drink at least 8fl oz of water daily. I usually drink slightly flavoured water made with Tesco Value Squash which has no sugar and when I want a hot drink it is peppermint tea, or fruit tea.

Don't drink caffeninated drinks .

No alcoholof any form

Remember the Atkins diet is a chemical reaction diet that will burn up your own fat for energy if you cheat and have any form of carbs the diet will just stop working so remember to exclude completely:

Sugar in any form including honey
Milk and yogurt
Fruit and fruit juices
flour products such as bread, pasta, crackers
grain
cereals
Beans and pulses
Starc hy high sugar veg such as potatoes, corn, eas, parsnips, beetroot, carrots.

Condiments such as ketchupsm, bbq sauce and balsamic vinegar, salad dressings (check the label as some are ok)
Nuts and seeds.

Please be careful that you don't eat hidden carbs in sauces or breaded products.

When eating out tell the waiter you would like your food free from sugar, flour including cornflour.

Try and walk each day or some other kind of exercise this will increase the rate at which you lose weight.

BE FULLY COMMITTED AND BE VERY STRICT

iT TAKES ABOUT THREE DAYS FOR YOUR B ODY TO SWITCH TO FAT BURNING. ONE CHEAT AND YOU ARE BACK TO YOUR CARB AND SUGAR B URNING METABOLISM YOU CAN RUIN ALL YOUR HARD WORK WITH ONE CHEAT.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-02-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by edenhazard45 ->
mod edit/spam removed
You don't need to count calories when you are on Atkins just don't eat carbs, drink plenty and excersise a little.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-02-2012, 11:47 AM

By the way this is the link to Fitday where you can find out how much carbs you are eating. http://www.fitday.com/

Also something I forgot to mention

Ham and bacon are my favourites but you must be careful and read the labels to make sure they are not sugar or honey cured. My favourite thing at the moment is to make egg mayonnais with a goo mayo or better still home made mayo and put it into a piece of turkey ham and roll it up, makes nice snack while watching tv.

Please read post #29 which is really important to Atkins dieting

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top