Join for free
Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 12:35 AM

Re: Trying to get the Irish on same page

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
that brings us back to yet again the Irish problem and quite why we don’t simply say to the EU ... you want a border then you build it and man it !!!
Watch out what you wish for! A border manned by the EU will check all outgoinig and incoming goods. However, outgoing persons are not checked. Why should they? So everyone coming by boat over the mediterranean to italy, france, spain, can travel to ireland via one of the four ferryroutes. No trouble in passing the border and take the ferry to britain, most have money to pay the fare, strangely enough. Unless great britain checks the border between ireland and NI. Or checks the ports of NI for illegals on boats heading for britain, people come flooding into britain.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 12:48 AM

We the British agreed to the Good Friday Agreement in good faith, that means no border. We also voted for Brexit which means leaving both the customs union and free trade area. That means a border is needed to check movement of goods and people. Those two agreements are fundamentally incompatible so one of them must be betrayed. Its up to the Brexiteers to say which one we will honour and which one we will betray.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 01:00 AM

"that brings us back to yet again the Irish problem and quite why we don’t simply say to the EU ... you want a border then you build it and man it !!!"

So are you happy to have illegal migrants and smugglers walking into the UK from Europe???

or should we also man the border and betray the Good Friday Agreement???

You cannot have both. Which is it??
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
So when paddy and mick start arguing over the border about kingdoms and battles hundreds of years ago I ask exactly when in the past so we draw the line in this world ??
Do I belt a German for WW2 or kick him in the nuts for WW1? No wait ... I owe the french one for 1066
I agree with you almost completely!

But I'd like to point out that William the Conqueror was not a Frog. He was a Norseman, just as the Norsemen who landed in Britain some years earlier.

Frogs, by their very nature, could never successfully invade our country!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I stopped taking anything you have had to say seriously when you continually insult us by calling us Paddys
Missy, don't be offended.

The words Paddy and Mick are just humorous appellations, just like we call Scots Jocks and Yorkshire people Supreme Beings.

I'm sure it's not meant as being offensive, or at least not intentional.

See, I call the French Frogs. It doesn't mean that I detest them.

Well... er... perhaps not all of them!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-02-2019, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
What cracks me up is that the British in NI are more loyal to the Queen and country then the English, yet the English treat them as second class citizens

The Scots are fighting for their independence and the English don't want that. The Brits of N.Ireland are determined to stay British and yet they are wrong as well.
Again, I don't want to start an argument with you, Missy, but which English people treat Irish (Northern or Southern) as second class citizens? I certainly don't, and I have friends of both Irish persuasions.

The same goes for Scots, as far as I'm concerned. Again, I have Scottish friends. The only ones I do despise are the ones I see whingeing day in and day out in the Commons, insisting that they are treated unfairly... despite all their benefits from the Barnett Formula. As for whether or not they gain their independence, that's entirely their choice as far as I'm concerned.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-02-2019, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
"that brings us back to yet again the Irish problem and quite why we don’t simply say to the EU ... you want a border then you build it and man it !!!"

So are you happy to have illegal migrants and smugglers walking into the UK from Europe???

or should we also man the border and betray the Good Friday Agreement???

You cannot have both. Which is it??
We don't need to man borders.

A far better method would be to make it quite clear to all illegal immigrants (whether from the EU or the Third World) that if and when they come here they will receive nothing, absolutely nothing. No money, no housing, no healthcare, etc. On the other hand, if found here illegally, they would be sent straight to prison until they can be deported. No remission for good behaviour either.

It's just a shame that I have not been elected Emperor of Britain. I'd solve the problem overnight, and sod the hand-wringers.

I've finished now. Marge has gone to bed and I'll be in the dog house if I don't join her soon.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Hi

Varadkar is using Brexit as a pawn in his Political Game to force a united Ireland.

He can do this because he has a veto in the EU, he can block any deal.

It is time to play hard ball with him.

We are being blackmailed by one man.

I do not give in to Blackmail.

The UK does not give in to Blackmail either, we have never paid for the release of Hostages.

Think of it as Poker Game.

He is bluffing, we know we can inflict more damage on him than he can on us.

Time to call his bluff.

Go all in, show him that if he persists he will have a Hard Border, he will lose the Common Travel Area.

We will examine every shipment of foods to the UK, slowly.

We will not issue a single Transport Operator Permit to any Irish firm to cross our Border.

He is threatening to block every flight to and from the UK from his Airspace, that is an inconvenience.

It is not a disaster, we can handle it.

We will do the same, and being much larger geographically, it will affect flights to Ireland much more.

This is not the time to blink first, it is time to be strong and put our Cards on the table.

Sod Varadkar, stand up to him and he will be out of power.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 08:16 AM

https://youtu.be/s-x6Ct2OwOA

Jonathan as usual sums things up at ground level

And Nigel explains the backstop but the EU and indeed the Irish need to take note as Armageddon looms closer

https://youtu.be/XR2snMKWbUM

And when the world takes a breath and the history books are written I believe Nigel’s narration will be the true version as heads roll in every election for years ahead

https://youtu.be/XhWl1db93Is
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with you almost completely!

But I'd like to point out that William the Conqueror was not a Frog. He was a Norseman, just as the Norsemen who landed in Britain some years earlier.

Frogs, by their very nature, could never successfully invade our country!

Another ignoramus!!! - William the Conquerer was previously Duke of Normandy - Normandy is a province of France, therefore it follows, that William, far from being a Norseman as you state, was in fact a Frenchman.

Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top