Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Re: What were your favourite books as a child?

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
This might be interesting for Blyton fans
Three major one-off films about the artistic careers of British female icons Margot Fonteyn, Gracie Fields and Enid Blyton will premiere this autumn in a special season of dramas on BBC Four,
I`ll look forward to these - the trailers look good.
Ooh I saw that advertised on TV last night Claire, looks good doesn't it
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Like Mags I also loved Enid Blyton books-can also remember reading Black Beauty. My favourite book of all was Little Women-can remember keep reading it over and over again
what Katie Did, Jane Eyre, Famous Five anything that I could get my hands on I loved reading (still do) but mother thought it was a waste of time.
anekico
Liverpool UK
anekico is female  anekico has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 11:50 PM

Enid Blyton, St CLares, Mallory Towers, Famous Five. Black Beauty, Secret Garden. Masses of books on mythology. Heidi books. I read loads and never had my nose out of a book and thankfully my daughters follow suit and more recently, my grandson.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 01:37 PM

As a small boy I loved Richmal Crompton's "Just William" books. Quite funny really because our working class council estate life was a long way removed from William's comfortable middle class lifestyle, but that didn't bother us and my friends and we always used to imagine ourselves as William and the Outlaws when we made "camps" in the woods and had "adventures" on the local wasteland.

I also loved the Doctor Doolittle books although I was a little disappointed by the casting of Rex Harrison in the lead role of the 1967 movie - he was just too thin!!!

At the age of 11/12 I got heavily in to Jack London - reading White Fang and Call of the Wild first, and then got into his more political/philosophical books (The Star Rover; The Iron Heel). I blame Jack London for my obsession with Huskies.

I also loved science fiction - particularly John Wyndham.
The most risque books I read were my mum's Dennis Wheatley novels - The Devil Rides Out; To the Devil a Daughter etc etc - very racy in those days.

Mick
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Talking about 'Just William' which I used to enjoy too reminded me of Billy Bunter Frank Richards I believe. I can still remember chuckling at the line 'Throw me over that chair chaps and of course all the chaps picking up Bunter and throwing over the chair.

I also read Jack London and funnily enough have an obsession with huskies. (Have you watched ('Seven Below') My dad had the Devil Rides Out but I wouldn't dare read it becuase of the awful looking cover which I have never forgotten.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by madmare ->
I loved all the "Jill" books by Ruby Ferguson and I still do, but then I love horses.
Oh yes, yes, yes! How I loved those books - I drove my parents mad about horses, and was always trying o whistle "Pedro the Fisherman". Still love horses now.

Loved the Just William books, the Jeeves books, Enid Blyton, all the girls at boarding school books, the What Katy Did books, Black Beauty, Paul Gallico's cat books, anything I could get my hands on. My father used to love James Bond books, and other crime books, and if I ran out of something to read I would get stuck into those, much to his annoyance! (He thought I was far to young at 8!)

I was always following my brothers around, trying to get them to read to me if my parents were busy, so when I was 3 my father just took me by the hand and led me down to the primary school and asked the headmistress if I could start school. She said yes, and took me to a classroom where the teacher asked me what I would like to do. I looked round at all the children drawing and painting and playing in sandpits, saw the little library corner and pointed at it, saying "I want to learn to read please". And I did! Never stopped reading since. Can you imagine that sort of thing happening now? I remember it as if it were yesterday.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 10:50 PM

I learned to read before I went to school and have never stopped. I used to borrow my Mom's adult library card to check out books in that section when I still had a childrens card .... supposedly for her, although I'm sure the librarians knew, And I too got into sci-fi by nabbing my Dad's books!

A childhood favorite I left off on my list was The Swiss Family Robinson.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

24-01-2010, 08:13 PM

My favourite book when I was a child and probably the first proper book I ever read was 'Little Women'. Next on my list was the 'What Katy Did' books. I think there were about 4 of them. And like most kids in the 50s I loved Enid Blyton's books.

Not forgetting, of course, the Broons and Oor Wullie.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top