Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Is DIY a good thing?

As you all know we have just moved but the problem we have is that the previous owner was a DIY fanatic! He's moved walls, floors, done all the electrics, put in the bathrooms, the kitchen, he told me on the day we moved in that he's done EVERYTHING HIMSELF in the house. Well that's okay in itself but I'm the sort of person that likes to feel safe and secure, if any job needs doing I get the professionals in. Well, I got my plumber in today as I suspected our drains are blocked - which they are, he had a quick look around the house and winced as he looked at everything this chap had done. He's made a right hash of the plumbing in the utility room and kitchen so that's all got to be sorted, he's fitted a huge extractor fan hood that's too big and too near to the cooker, not sure what we are going to do about that. In the airing cupboard there are all sorts of horrors to do with pipes and electrics, so that will have to all be sorted as well, this is just scratching the surface with things that need puting right!

I just feel a nervous wreck until it all gets put right. I've got the electricity board coming out next week to check all the electrics so I'll feel a lot better when that is done and find out what needs to be done. It's going to cost us a small fortune thanks to this bloke's obsesity with DIY. I wouldn't mind if he had done it all properly but he hasn't. He works with disabled children so doesn't even do DIY as a sideline for work.

Would anyone else feel nervous about this sort of thing or is it me being over sensitive?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Re: Is DIY a good thing?

I think you have every reason to feel nervous, especially as far as electrics are concerned. I would always have a professional in to do any work connected with electricity, gas or plumbing.

The trouble is it's going to cost you a packet to put right his botched up workmanship
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 12:37 AM

Its a good thing i you know what you are doing, but......many think they do!!sounds like your owner was one of them!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 01:02 AM

That would scare me half to death, especially the electricity and plumbing! Too many potentially dangerous things to go wrong. Give me a qualified certified professional every time.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 01:11 AM

Does your homeowners insurance cover any water damage if a pipe breaks. I'm sure he'll turn off the water while working on them of course.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 01:13 AM

One of the reasons I like brand new houses, you know what you're getting with them (usually!).

I think nowadays all electrical work has to be certified too.

Hope you get it looked at and sorted soon
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
One of the reasons I like brand new houses, you know what you're getting with them (usually!).

I think nowadays all electrical work has to be certified too.

Hope you get it looked at and sorted soon
Yes, I wanted a new build Azz but my husband fell in love with this house and wouldn't be swayed from it! I pointed out to him that the chap was a DIY freak and I wouldn't feel happy with that but hubby just got balshy when I said about pulling out of the house sale. I moved here for his benefit. It is a nice house as it stands, it's just the bodge up's the previous owner has made of it! My husband is not very sensible sometimes, he's too laid back and doesn't see the danger in things and that annoys me!
Alicat
West Berkshire

13-11-2009, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Does your homeowners insurance cover any water damage if a pipe breaks. I'm sure he'll turn off the water while working on them of course.
I'm not sure. My plumber can't do it until end of next week.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 01:37 AM

Give priority to the problems associated with safety like electrics and gas, plumbing can be fixed later, . . a burst or leaking pipe won't kill you but power and gas can.

I would'nt get paranoid over these potential problems but they'll have to be addressed.

PS : Locate your stop-cock so if you do get a burst or leaking pipe you can turn the water off.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Give priority to the problems associated with safety like electrics and gas, plumbing can be fixed later, . . a burst or leaking pipe won't kill you but power and gas can.

I would'nt get paranoid over these potential problems but they'll have to be addressed.

PS : Locate your stop-cock so if you do get a burst or leaking pipe you can turn the water off.

Unless it's frozen from non-use! My house was built in 1938; first time I had a plumbing problem (sometime in the late 60s) they couldn't get the indoor water cut-off to function so had to shut off the water from outside.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top