Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Gerry
Whitsundays,Queensland Australia
Gerry is male  Gerry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Some of our Australian fauna

From the government site http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/flora_and_fauna.html.
"In Australia there are more than 378 species of mammals, 828 species of birds, 300 species of lizards, 140 species of snakes and two species of crocodiles. Of the mammals, almost half are marsupials. The rest are either placental mammals or monotremes.

Among Australia’s best-known animals are the kangaroo, koala, echidna, dingo, platypus, wallaby and wombat.

Australia has more than 140 species of marsupials, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, wombats and the Tasmanian Devil, which is now found only in Tasmania.

There are 55 different species of kangaroos and wallabies—macropods—native to Australia. Macropods vary greatly in size and weight, ranging from half a kilogram to 90 kilograms. The main difference between wallabies and kangaroos is in size— wallabies tend to be smaller. Some stand as tall as humans and others are as small as domestic cats.

In many rural areas where their populations are high, kangaroos are regarded as pests because they compete with sheep and cattle for scarce pasture and water. Kangaroo harvesting contributes to the sustainability of the Australian environment. Estimates of Australia’s kangaroo population vary between 30 and 60 million.

Australia hosts another unique animal group, the monotremes, which are egg-laying mammals, often referred to as ‘living fossils’. The most distinctive is the platypus, a riverdwelling animal with a duck-like bill, a furry body and webbed feet.

Of the 828 bird species listed in Australia, about half are found nowhere else. Isolation has also contributed to the development and survival of unusual birds. These range from tiny honeyeaters to the large, flightless emu, which stands nearly two metres tall. In between is a vast array of waterbirds, seabirds and birds that dwell in open woodlands and forests. Some outstanding examples are cassowaries, black swans, fairy penguins, kookaburras, lyrebirds and currawongs. There are 55 species of parrots in Australia. Many of these birds are as numerous as they are colourful, including a spectacular variety of cockatoos, rosellas, lorikeets, cockatiels, parakeets and budgerigars.

Australia has more species of venomous snakes than any other continent (21 of the world’s 25 deadliest snakes). Fear of snake bites is common among people planning to travel in Australia. However, bites are rare and most often occur when a snake is deliberately provoked by a human."

In coming days I will show some of the fauna that lives in my part of the world.

The Bush Stone-curlews (Burhinus grallarius) are an endangered species in Victoria and New South Wales and vulnerable in South Australia.
Their colouring makes them hard to see in bushland, especially in the evenings, when they are most active.

Bush Stone-curlews stand 50 – 60 centimetres tall, with long gangly legs, large yellow eyes, and grey-streaked upper parts.
Curlew's diet consists of crustaceans, grasshoppers, spiders, lizards, centipedes, snails, small frogs, small reptiles, ground beetles, crickets, caterpillars, seeds and small fruits. They only eat what is on the surface.

Removing fallen timber from around trees takes away cover and camouflage for nesting curlews. Their reliance on fallen timber makes them particularly vulnerable.

When threatened (presumably in the presence of a nest), they may raise their wings wide and high in an impressive threat posture and emit a loud hoarse hissing noise.

Curlew chicks can walk almost as soon as they hatch. Newly hatched curlew chicks weigh 26-34 g and are covered with thick, pale, grey down and are boldly marked with dark brown to black stripes.

All photos in this thread were taken by me and most were taken on my property.
Gerry
Whitsundays,Queensland Australia
Gerry is male  Gerry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Re: Some of our Australian fauna

Some more Aussie birds.

Blue-winged Kookaburra Dacelo leachii
This one was not frightened of me and came up close. I think it is a young bird.

Next the Yellow-bellied Sunbird building it's nest. The female builds the nest and the male feeds the babies. That's a good husband and wife team.

Once the nest is built it's time to test it for comfy.

The Tawny Frogmouth blends in with the tree and can be difficult to see.

But when I got too close with the camera I received a disapproving look.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:42 AM

Fabulous photos - thank you so much for sharing them. It is really interesting to learn about fauna from other countries. I love the Tawny Frogmouth and would imagine that if he kept still he would be almost impossible to see - great camouflage!
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

04-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Hope you dont mind me sticking a Goanna in mate,Oodabunna Station WA

vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Hey good to see your photos Gerry & Billy even from WA I have learnt a lot from your posts Gerry.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Great pix guys
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

04-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Blue Wren,Blue Mountains NSW

I know,It's tiny!
But cute!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Your animals and birds are amazing it's the insect life I could never tolerate LOL
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Great photos!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Lovely pics Gerry and Billy

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top