Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Gerry
Whitsundays,Queensland Australia
Gerry is male  Gerry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:52 PM

Re: Some of our Australian fauna

Echidnas are found over most of Australia but you don't see them too often.
Echidnas are very unusual mammals because they lay eggs. Mammals that lay eggs are called monotremes.

An echidna baby is called a puggle
This is a puggle

As it gets a bit older it starts to develop spines.

Then a bit older again.

Then an adult echidna.

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 02:01 AM

Aw, little puggle.

Those are lovely photos indeed so please keep them coming as we don't see these creatures in the UK.
Gerry
Gerry is male  Gerry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 04:01 AM

Thank you Mollie.
A bit of an Aussie icon of the animal world is the Koala.
This one was injured and so came into care making it easy for me to get a pic.

Gerry

05-09-2013, 05:40 AM

Agile Wallaby (Macropus agilis) with young joey in her pouch.

vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Love the Blue Wren and they are always busy little birds.
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gerry ->
Echidnas are found over most of Australia but you don't see them too often.
Echidnas are very unusual mammals because they lay eggs. Mammals that lay eggs are called monotremes.

An echidna baby is called a puggle
This is a puggle

As it gets a bit older it starts to develop spines.

Then a bit older again.

Then an adult echidna.

Only seen an Echidna in the wild once and that was in Dryandra Forest WA so would be a short beaked or nose one, it was quite yellows orange in colour and totally unaware or un afraid of us being near it. Moved fairly slowly so would be very much at risk to the introduced foxes if they knew how to flip them over. ( How do I make sure this ends up under the right picture)
Gerry

05-09-2013, 11:15 PM

The Whiptail Wallaby (Macropus parryi) commonly known as Pretty Face is endemic to Australia, where it ranges from Cooktown, north-eastern Queensland to northern New South Wales.

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:41 AM

Fantastic pictures. Of course, many people believe that the Koala is a cute little bear, which of course it isn't, as it's a marsupial.

When I was a child my mother bought a certain brand of loose tea and inside there were series of cards for many different things. African Wildlife, British Wild Flowers, Australian Wildlife, Australian Flowers, and many other things, which I loved to collect. There were 52 cards to a set and I adored my collections. I was about 6/7 years old at the time and they're long gone now, but I'm not enjoying seeing them again in these photos.

One picture that sticks in my mind {{don't know why}} was one of Australian Wattle. On the backs of the cards there was a short description of what they were and what they ate.

Thank you for posting these.
vivity
Perth Western Australia

06-09-2013, 02:12 AM

Gerry have you ever got up close to a Cassowary? The only one I got to see was in Katoomba but that one was behind wire.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPVVdg8noc‎
Gerry

06-09-2013, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by vivity ->
Gerry have you ever got up close to a Cassowary? The only one I got to see was in Katoomba but that one was behind wire.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPVVdg8noc‎
Vivity, the Cassowaries are further north than where I live. I have seen them between Cairns and Cooktown while driving but never was able to get a photo.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top