Join for free
Polly BBC
New Member!
london, UK
Polly BBC is female 

04-01-2010, 07:07 PM

The BBC needs you! - Did you take the pill in the 1960s?

The BBC Science department are making a documentary which will feature the contraceptive pill as a revolutionary advance of the 20th century. As part of our research, we are very interested in hearing from women who took the pill in the 1960s. If this is you and you think you would be interested in speaking to one of our researchers we would love to hear from you. Please contact polly.billam@bbc.co.uk for further information.

P.S. Got permission from Azz first to post this request...
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Re: The BBC needs you! - Did you take the pill in the 1960s?

Good luck with your endeavours Polly - I hope the documentary works out well.

I'm about as likely to volunteer to be on TV (in any capacity, never mind discussing intimate matters) as I am to walk naked down the high street. I think we have had a discussion on our desire to appear on telly on the forum previously ... I don't think you'll get any takers!

But, whilst we have a 'tame television person' can I raise the subject of the dumbing down of serious television; of documentaries which treat the viewer as if they have the attention span of a fruit fly, repeating the same facts over and over again; of science programmes (e.g.Horizon) which seem incapable of serious science without visual effects and whizz-bangs; of programmes which concentrate on atypical extremes - freaks.

Ho hum - grumpy (not so) old woman alert I presume you've tried Saga - plenty of potential exhibitionists there
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Good luck with your program! Had I wanted to go on the pill - my late Mum would have killed me first!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 10:31 AM

I did...but there`s no way I`m going on national TV saying what I got up to in the 60s!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Go on I dare ya

Good luck with the documentary Polly!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
But, whilst we have a 'tame television person' can I raise the subject of the dumbing down of serious television; of documentaries which treat the viewer as if they have the attention span of a fruit fly, repeating the same facts over and over again; of science programmes (e.g.Horizon) which seem incapable of serious science without visual effects and whizz-bangs; of programmes which concentrate on atypical extremes - freaks.
Oh DM how I agree with you, I wish we had Rep points on here, I would award you a million It really infurates me the way these media people are so patronising and see themselves as so high and mighty and the Gods of modern day society. Those programs about freaks are IMO aimed at the voyeurs in our society and should be banned

Only recently we had those muppets on Channel 4 planning a program about embarissing pets, how on earth can you even think about making such a program, they really are scraping the barrel.

This one the BBC person is attempting to get volunteers for may well be better, the way she wrote the invitation seems to suggest that it will be responsible and might even appeal to some younger people. But I would tell her that it's hardly new and has been done several times before in different ways.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I did...but there`s no way I`m going on national TV saying what I got up to in the 60s!
And why should you Just so you can tell your friends "Oh I was on TV" to be honest that doesn't impress me at all.

And before anyone jumps on me I did congratulate someone on Dogsey who got on one of the better quiz programmes and got to the final only to be asked a question about a breed of dog which he answered correctly but the program researchers hadn't done their job properly and he was told the answer was wrong
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
..me neither and I can't imagine what there can be to say on the subject to fill a whole program .

I appreciate those who took the pill in the 60s were the first to do so but not sure why taking the pill in the 60s should be any different from taking it in the 70s or any other time really .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top