Join for free
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Re: Is editing photos fair?

Forgive me if I'm wrong Mart and Meg, but I didn't think Mart's topic was a challenge of the rules of the Over50's photo competition, more a discussion on the wider subject of photography in general.

The world is becoming a difficult place to live in where athletes can use science to enhance their performance, formula one drivers don't rely on much skill these days when engine performance is almost completely controlled from a computer, the pit wall, or who can supply the most money for development. General Knowledge quizzes have virtually been eliminated by Google and Smart Phones. The skills of driving and navigation are being eroded due to GPS and engine and vehicle management systems (even driverless cars are been developed) and calculators have replaced the brain to make complex and not so complex calculations.

There is the technology out there to give an unfair advantage to almost every competitive thing we do.

Personally I would not enter a photography competition with my meagre collection of equipment and software knowing that there are experts out there whose hobby it is to take beautiful and expertly presented photographs. I take lots of photos, some look good to me but wouldn't stand up to the experts scrutiny. In my opinion, the less you fiddle with a photo the better it comes out.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:01 AM

*Not very long ago the OFF photo comp was won, and in my opinion rightly so, by a superb photo which had been obviously "photoshopped".
I PM'd Mags and asked if it was OK to submit "photoshopped" images in the comp and her reply was that.... the only condition of the comp was that the photo must be the original work of the poster..... I replied to her saying that I would take her reply as a "yes"

*Edited to say....Jan 2016 comp Wrecks and Ruins

Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Rule 1-does my bum look big in this?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Firstly I will say the competition on here is the domain of Mags and if anyone has any concerns about the content of photograph entries the best thing to do is to contact Mags by PM or start a thread in Contact a Moderator rather than discussing it in the thread.

The rules state...
'All entries must be the original work of the member submitting them'.
I suppose this is open to interpretation, it has never been a problem before but for many like myself unskilled in photography this means posting an untouched picture.
I guess some members make small adjustments to the photographs to enhance the clarity but it seems some people are now taking 'enhancement' to a whole new level and manipulating photographs .
I guess it may be a joke for some but I don't think that is in the spirit of the competition even if the rules are not specific.

If people want a 'novelty picture' competition they should say so rather than spoiling what has always been a simple but enjoyable competion by trying to be clever .
I have had a PM that indicates my post above has been misinterpreted by some so I will clarify.

I thought this thread was started by Mart because he was making a general comment about photography competitions but he goes on to mention by name the current competition running on here ....
In the 'UP IN THE AIR' photo competition, I posted a photo of some fellows assembling a crane
so I assumed the thread was prompted by the current competition and the reaction it has raised with some members asking to have their photographs remove and a number of posts discussing photographs having to be moved to the Trash Can..
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...05#post1004305

Mart goes on to ask...
The question is 'what is considered overdone?' Perhaps changing the entire nature of the scene the camera saw could be termed 'over-doing it'
....again this seemed to be connected to the current competition where some people have clearly moved
whole objects/people around in their photographs .

So in view of the fact that Mart seemed to not just be posting a general question but had concerns about what is or is not permissible taking into account some of the post in the in the current competition I replied.

The competition as far as I am aware was meant to be fairly relaxed and not too serious but some of our members do take it seriously and are not happy that some members have suddenly decided to mess around in the competition thread.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm sure that lots of posters, like me, enjoy looking at the current photo entries and voting...this is a most interesting and relevant discussion, why would you want or need to hide it away?
Who has hidden anything away Ruthio would you care to elaborate.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:36 AM

Who has hidden anything away Ruthio would you care to elaborate.
I think Ruthio is referring to post No 8 ... apologies to Ruthio if I am mistaken.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Forgive me if I'm wrong Mart and Meg, but I didn't think Mart's topic was a challenge of the rules of the Over50's photo competition, more a discussion on the wider subject of photography in general.

The world is becoming a difficult place to live in where athletes can use science to enhance their performance, formula one drivers don't rely on much skill these days when engine performance is almost completely controlled from a computer, the pit wall, or who can supply the most money for development. General Knowledge quizzes have virtually been eliminated by Google and Smart Phones. The skills of driving and navigation are being eroded due to GPS and engine and vehicle management systems (even driverless cars are been developed) and calculators have replaced the brain to make complex and not so complex calculations.

There is the technology out there to give an unfair advantage to almost every competitive thing we do.

Personally I would not enter a photography competition with my meagre collection of equipment and software knowing that there are experts out there whose hobby it is to take beautiful and expertly presented photographs. I take lots of photos, some look good to me but wouldn't stand up to the experts scrutiny. In my opinion, the less you fiddle with a photo the better it comes out.
I agree with this post OGF very well put ....I dont see the need for fiddling with photographs for the sake of it....I like to know just when a photo has been "shopped" or similar and what exactly has been done to it also..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Firstly I will say the competition on here is the domain of Mags and if anyone has any concerns about the content of photograph entries the best thing to do is to contact Mags by PM or start a thread in Contact a Moderator rather than discussing it in the thread.
A 'Contact a Moderator' private message about the above reply then Meg. Feel free to show it to Mags.
Mart if you look at the part of my post you have quoted, I thought it would be clear in view of recent events that I meant if anyone had any concerns about the photograph entries (which are of course in the photograph competition thread) they should contact Mags in person rather than discuss them in the photography thread as happened yesterday .

I didn't think I had said anywhere that this thread should not be starter in order to discuss competitions.
If this is what was assumed my appologies.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 12:12 PM

The thread I started was supposed to be a general one. Sorry if I caused any confusion about that.

The photo in the current thread (workers on crane) was meant to be only an example of what could be thought a fair (or not) manipulation of a photo, rather than it being specific to the current thread.

I'll post the photo here so that people can see what I'm talking about but think it now ought to be removed from the competition thread (please). I'll maybe come up with another one instead.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes ..but some of that technology advantage could be thought to be in the camera itself.

An expensive camera has the photo quality advantage as the photo is taken. The editing program makes up for a poorer camera being used ..but after the event. Editing can kind of level the playing field for the types of camera used. If using a program cannot be thought fair, quality will depend only on the camera and equipment that can be afforded.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top