Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:37 PM

Congratulations NHS!

On your 'Pre - type 2 diabetes programme'.

Tuesday this week I went for an assessment for admission to this programme and am really impressed by the thoroughness. It took an hour and covered every aspect of my life style, not to mention every possible measurement. Was astonished to discover the programme lasts for 9 months and is in 4 stages.

Stage one = the assessment - an hour long one to one session.

Stage two = a series of 2 hour sessions each week for 7 weeks

1. Understanding diabetes.
2. Physical activity.
3. What is a balanced lifestyle?
4. What is a healthy diet?
5. Practical solutions for a healthier you.
6. Know your health.
7. Physical activity and review of measurements.

Stage three = a series of 2 hour sessions each month for 4 months

1. Values and obstacles.
2. Stress, mindfulness and mindful eating.
3. Habits, self compassion and visualisation
4. Sleep and creating a health blue print.

Stage four = an in depth review of the 9 months.

Believing that prevention is better than cure - I am really looking forward to my first appointment. It is going to be an interesting journey.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Re: Congratulations NHS!

Wow - that's a fantastic program …..

I didn't think that the NHS did that sort of thing anymore …..

It's like going back to college …..

I shall look forward to your dissertation …..
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 02:05 PM

As someone who's been on that course I can assure you it's well worth attending and gets results.
I went on it in May 2017 after being advised I was pre-diabetic with a reading on the Hba1C scale of 46, the top one I believe is 48, indicating Type 2 diabetes.

During the course I learned so much about how our bodies deal with different foods and what should be avoided to get that Hba1C reading down to as close as possible to 35, the lowest on that scale. Much of the dietary changes were small but significant when it came to ensuring blood sugar levels were kept low. Also of course eating the 'right food' and realising exactly what regular exercise does to keep blood sugar levels correct, ensured weight loss.

My results after completing the course was that my Hba1C reading went down to 38 from that original one of 46 and I lost 10kg. Those readings have fluctuated since then, I have a blood test every three months to ensure it's not going wrong again. The weight loss I would have liked to have been more, however a summer of excessive heat and a winter of excessive cold made it very difficult to get my half-an-hour walk in each day. The heat and cold affect me after a heart attack 11 years' ago so I gave it a miss for a while for that reason.

Just learning about food though was very beneficial, I had no knowledge about any of that. I did always eat reasonable food, not junk food but I didn't know anything about what food really is and how the body deals with it.

Good luck with the course, I hope you will find it worthwhile completing, I know that I did from the results obtained.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Thanks, Baz, I knew someone else had mentioned it. It sounds very interesting and I cannot wait to start. It certainly seems to have worked for you - well done!
Frankie1944
Herts uk
Frankie1944 is female  Frankie1944 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 04:03 PM

Hi ST I am doing this course at the moment and it is very helpful in understanding how different foods work with your body. I will go for the second of the monthly ones on 6th November.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thanks, Baz, I knew someone else had mentioned it. It sounds very interesting and I cannot wait to start. It certainly seems to have worked for you - well done!
Thanks Silver Tabby. I also found an app. for the mobile phone useful to check Sugar, Saturated Fat and Salt in products before purchasing them. All you do is scan the product's bar code with the mobile which gives an easy 'traffic light' result. These are also stored within the app. so you have a ready means of checking anything you've scanned and maybe bought in the past. The app. is called 'Food Scanner'. There's also an app. called 'Smart Recipes', useful for meal ideas. both apps. are by change 4 life. Another app. called 'Easy Meals' is similar giving some interesting recipes for meals. All these are available from where you usually download your apps. and are free. These I found very useful for people like myself who really had no idea about eating the correct foods so as to avoid Type 2 diabetes.

The link below also has a lot of useful authoritative information, well worth checking out:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/type2-diabetes.html

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top