Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 12:39 AM

Re: Heart burn

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mups did you feel different for it? Or were you already super-healthy at the time so it just gave you a bit of extra zing?

I hadn't really considered the risk of dental decay but I guess that is a big down side. Can't you just use it as a salad dressing?

I don't seem to be suffering from reflux recently and it's funny how it comes and goes. I stopped taking any medication for it a while back. I was on ranitidine which was also recommended on the Azz thread Art mentioned. That helped me get off omeprazole. Azz's thread seems to have helped a few here!

Thanks for mentioning Margaret Hills by the way - just looking at the site which is very interesting reading

Annie, I tried it for a few months but can't honestly say I felt any benefits.

I have a new unopened bottle here still, a good quality one from 'Comvita,' from New Zealand. It is unpasteurised so still has the Mother of vinegar included. It also has Manuka honey already added. It needs to be kept in a cool, dark place under 25 degs.

The use by date is Feb 2020 but I would personally prefer to go by that date as long as the seal wasn't broken and it was unopened.

https://www.comvita.co.uk/product/ap...uka-honey/6710

Art Yours might still be alright for all I know, but for the sake of £7.99 (or whatever), I'd sooner get a fresh one.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 01:27 AM

I tried mine tonight Mups. It's called Bragg and says it has the "mother" bit too.

I have been quite unwell this week with a chest infection. I am probably imagining it but I do feel much better a couple of hours after drinking it. So maybe if you aren't well it's good for you?

But I immediately worried about the effect on my teeth. I thought I felt some tingling in sensitive spot. It's so acidic and you're meant to drink it in a glass of water. Do people drink it through a straw? It's like drinking diluted battery acid!

By the way it doesn't say anything on my bottle about it going off when opened.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 10:00 AM

I tried mine tonight Mups. It's called Bragg and says it has the "mother" bit too.

I have been quite unwell this week with a chest infection. I am probably imagining it but I do feel much better a couple of hours after drinking it. So maybe if you aren't well it's good for you?

But I immediately worried about the effect on my teeth. I thought I felt some tingling in sensitive spot. It's so acidic and you're meant to drink it in a glass of water. Do people drink it through a straw? It's like drinking diluted battery acid!

By the way it doesn't say anything on my bottle about it going off when opened.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good Annie, hope you're on the mend again soon.
Regarding your teeth, I just used to swill my mouth out afterwards, or like Art said, brush your teeth.
I did read somewhere about using a straw though so you could try that and see how you get on, but even then I'd still rinse out after. If you have got a particularly sensitive area it might pay to be a bit careful, but I always thought it was only a danger after long term use.

Just found this bit of info if it's any help:

" Like all vinegars, apple cider vinegar is acidic. Consuming too many acidic foods and beverages can weaken tooth enamel over time, potentially leading to tooth decay.

At first, people may not realize that their tooth enamel is damaged. As the damage worsens, the teeth may start to ache or become sensitive to sweet foods and hot or cold temperatures, according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Eventually, the teeth may develop cavities that require fillings.

The risk of tooth decay is highest when a person regularly consumes undiluted apple cider vinegar. Diluting the vinegar or consuming it as part of a meal reduces this risk".
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Thanks Mups, I will try rinsing with water afterwards.

I have a theory that GERD in older people is caused by posture. As you age you become less active and are more likely to have a bit of a slouch because you may be unable to exercise as much.

I don't think they do enough work on this in general because I think it has a lot to do with many other diseases such as arthritis etc. It might explain why my GERD improved when I was doing yoga.

Are you still doing the yoga Mups? I had to stop when I had frozen shoulder and for various reasons have not started again yet. It's so good for you in all sorts of ways.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-11-2019, 01:04 AM

Thanks Mups, I will try rinsing with water afterwards.

I have a theory that GERD in older people is caused by posture. As you age you become less active and are more likely to have a bit of a slouch because you may be unable to exercise as much.

I don't think they do enough work on this in general because I think it has a lot to do with many other diseases such as arthritis etc. It might explain why my GERD improved when I was doing yoga.

Are you still doing the yoga Mups? I had to stop when I had frozen shoulder and for various reasons have not started again yet. It's so good for you in all sorts of ways.

That's the trouble when you stop doing something Annie, other things takeover and you get out of the routine of going.

I have been lapse for the last 3 weeks or so, mainly because I have had to wait in for builders who don't turn up!

I went back to my Saturday class today and couldn't help but notice how I was not as flexible. It really showed me how quickly things can change if we don't make the time to care.

So hopefully next week, starting Monday, I shall be getting back to my three classes a week. I definitely benefit from it, plus I enjoy the company too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-11-2019, 01:29 AM

Yes I saw your post about awol builders on the other thread Mups. That is so annoying. Can you believe I once had a builder not come to give a quote because firstly he forgot and when we rescheduled he wouldn't come because it was raining! Luckily I found someone else and what was really weird is that the original guy kept phoning and leaving messages as though I was still going to wait in for him!

I'm so glad you managed to get back into yoga again. I'm sure the more you go the flexibility will improve. But I do admire you for doing a class.

I was very much hoping to start again but then as well as the chest infection I hurt my hand and I'm waiting for that to get better. I'm not sure how soon the ligament in my finger will recover as it's a bit delicate now and then. Yoga does require a fair bit of finger bending.

Maybe I could just do a lot of shavasana to get me in the mood? After all it's always been my favourite pose!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 07:16 PM

I've been using something for a couple of months, I didn't want to post on here until I was sure it works.
It does! Well, for me it does, I was getting terrible heartburn, drowning in acid!

It's called Acidophilus from Holland and Barrett, it's basically bacteria.
It is the only thing that has worked for me. (see Azz's thread about acid reflux) it's almost completely stopped my symptoms apart from when I eat things I know I shouldn't!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-01-2020, 11:04 PM

Glad you have found something that helps you, Tess.

I take a Pro-Biotic with 5 billion live cultures too.
Acidophilus is one of the ingredients plus several other bacterias.
There are different bacterias for different 'problems,' and some have to be kept refirigerated.

My dogs also have pro-biotics if they have been on antibiotics too.
The antibiotics are not selective, and kill the 'good bugs' we need, as well as the bad, so I try to re-instate the ones they need again.

It is quite a huge subject really. Some people think eating a bit of yoghurt will suffice, but it's not that simple.

These people have an interesting booklet all about them:

https://www.highernature.com/everyda...als/probiotics
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've been using something for a couple of months, I didn't want to post on here until I was sure it works.
It does! Well, for me it does, I was getting terrible heartburn, drowning in acid!

It's called Acidophilus from Holland and Barrett, it's basically bacteria.
It is the only thing that has worked for me. (see Azz's thread about acid reflux) it's almost completely stopped my symptoms apart from when I eat things I know I shouldn't!
Will have to try this .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Will have to try this .
are you still having it bad Muddy?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top