Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Re: Saving the Bees

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Hi lass, and I is a Mollie, not a Molly.

Yes, me! Many moons ago I was stung by a wasp and my back came up in a huge lump. I took myself off to the British Medical Hospital in Berlin because I didn't know what to do. I was told to go home and put some vinegar on a cotton swab then dab it on the lump and woof - it literally went down within seconds. It is not an old wives tale at all.

Vinegar for vasps, and bicard for bees!
Sorry MOLLIE, not looking properly am I. There, got it right that time.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 10:20 PM

I bought a Bee House from Lidl one of those things advertised for solidtare bees.its has all the canes in. within three days bees were using it and it is now nearly full,,
its fascinating to watch ..bees going in laying ..and flying off and coming back with a leaf to plug the hole ..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Got myself in a panic yesterday, a giant bumble bee had got itself into our fruit cage and couldn't get out
We watched and waited for it to find the place where it got in but ended up virtually dismantling the fruit cage..

The day before I'd managed to stroke a bumble bee! It didn't seem to mind, just carried on gathering nectar.... coming back to the same flowers again and again!

Fabulous Tomcat.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 12:21 PM

I had toyed with the idea of setting up a hive at the back of my property. I researched it and found that it's a higly regulated proposition. The State requires a license, and then yearly inspections. If the Department of Agriculture finds a disease or a problem, they can just destroy the hive completely. I don't really need that intrusion.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 12:37 PM

What a pity Audrey
My daughter simply arranged with a local bee keeper to have a hive .. she has ended up with five though it looks like one has been abandoned. I don't doubt that he'll find another swarm.
The keeper does the regular inspection and will be sharing the honey with her.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
What a pity Audrey
My daughter simply arranged with a local bee keeper to have a hive .. she has ended up with five though it looks like one has been abandoned. I don't doubt that he'll find another swarm.
The keeper does the regular inspection and will be sharing the honey with her.
Well, I still may give it a go when I retire and can devote more time... despite the intrusion from the DA.. I see it as a noble undertaking..

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top