Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:31 PM

Re: Ponds, Fish & Plants

I suppose ideally the fish should be removed and put into a holding tank of some sort. I remember doing this years ago with a fish that had been condemned by the expert in the aquatic centre. I put it in a large bucket with some pond water and some new water with dechlorinator and added an airstone pump. I covered it with a mesh to stop poredators and left it there for a few weeks and it made a full recovery.

It depends how far you want to go with it but some aquatic centres will test a fish for you and tell you exactly what's wrong (you normally have to agree it with them first).

Another method is a salt dip where the fish is dipped into a bucket of pond water containing pond salt.

Generally, I understand that it's not the water problem that actually kills them but a secondary infection.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think the usual reason for high ammonia is a build up of debris in the pond, leaves, fish food, sludge etc but that's difficult to see if your water is green. I would probably get a net on the bottom to see if you can scoop some of it out, then do a partial water change (about 20%) and add dechlorinator. There are also treatments for high ammonia. Also you can add a filter booster (bacteria).

It seems a bit odd that only one fish has been affected by it though. I will have a read on some of the sites and see if I can find anything.
Even more odd is that the ammonia readings have all been zero ever since I started doing the tests.

In fact, the pH is always at 7 and Nitrate and Nitrites are both zero. Other tests are all within acceptable parameters.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Even more odd is that the ammonia readings have all been zero ever since I started doing the tests.
Yes, that's what I can't quite understand plus the fact that the other fish haven't been affected. If it wasn't for the fact that it is lethargic, I would say it is just changing colour -which does happen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, that's what I can't quite understand plus the fact that the other fish haven't been affected. If it wasn't for the fact that it is lethargic, I would say it is just changing colour -which does happen.
Yes, I read that they sometimes do that.

I think I'll just leave it for now, as the others don't seem affected. Also, when I get close for a good look, it seems well able to dart off rapidly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-07-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I read that they sometimes do that.

I think I'll just leave it for now, as the others don't seem affected. Also, when I get close for a good look, it seems well able to dart off rapidly.
Ha ha, I know what you mean. Once mine realise there's no food involved, they are off.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 10:07 PM

My fish that have been born this year are starting to appear. Usually they are black as babies then change colour, but today I saw a little white fish, my shubunkin must be the parent yea!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-07-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
My fish that have been born this year are starting to appear. Usually they are black as babies then change colour, but today I saw a little white fish, my shubunkin must be the parent yea!
It's great to see that isn't it. I remember the first time I saw fish babies in the pond, I was out at midnight with a jar and a torch because I didn't want them to get eaten by the adults. I put them back the next day as I realised I couldn't keep them alive in a jar indefinitely. Most of them survived.

As you say, goldfish babies are normally black so it must be the Shubunkin.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Has anyone had a professional pond cleaner?
I've got one coming next week, he takes the fish out, and does a total water change , cleans it, checks pump etc.
It is a raised pond 3 feet above ground, 18" below so difficult to clean, it is only really clear in winter due to sunlight.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
I've got one coming next week, he takes the fish out, and does a total water change , cleans it, checks pump etc.
It is a raised pond 3 feet above ground, 18" below so difficult to clean, it is only really clear in winter due to sunlight.
Do you have a pump and UV filter?
If not, it is likely to become murky again.
It is my experience that creating some sort of shade (I use a garden umbrella) on sunny days makes a lot of difference.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
Hi Yolande

I have never used a professional cleaner but I have read stories where they have transformed a murky pond so you should see a good result. I have used the cheap pond vacuums in the past but they are not very good.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top