Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Re: Teresa May is voted down .

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The International Press have been incredulous at the mess we now find ourselves in.

]
The international press and community has always been incredulous at the fact we voted to leave

Excepting of course Trump / Fox news and Putin / RT
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The basic problem as I see it Mrs May is no good at negotiation or choosing someone that is. I have to say I don't think there is any politician in government or opposition with the backbone and guts to stand up and tell the EU what we want and what we are going to do. Take it or leave it.

This length of time between the voting and now plainly shows that Politicians are basically useless apart from flapping their gobs up and down

Mrs May has been flitting around Europe like a butterfly in the wind, not knowing which way the wind is going to take her

I honestly can't see Maggie Thatcher standing for it, there was a decisive PM like or loathe her she said-did- got done what she set out to do, no messing about. We could do with another like her at this present time.

I don't understand why she Mrs May has been poncing around for two years at our expense and got nowhere.
The problems were / are:

There was a widespread delusion that the EU needs us more than we need the EU and they will give us what we want

The legacy of Thatcherism is that the UK has principally become a service provider

Our main manufacturing industries are inextricably linked to Europe and many are foreign companies based here for access to Europe

Europe sees opportunity to entice sectors of the UK economy to relocate to mainland Europe

The outcomes of negotiations are determined by relative positions of strength

We have no skilled trade negotiators so were further disadvantaged

No matter who we had negotiating for us the outcome was likely to be the same as the 27 have stood firm

We will find the same with the rest of the world and without the combined strength of a trading bloc we may not fare well in an increasingly protectionist world
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I second that.
I third that..............We're happy that you are over there.

I expect May to win the vote of confidence.......but you never know.

We have surely entered the end game but with no real understanding of the rules of the game.

Interesting times!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Hi

I think that No Deal is the worst outcome of leaving.

It is however preferable to not leaving.

We are a democracy, we voted to Leave, we cannot be overruled by a Political Elite.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 08:44 AM

I think no deal was always going to be ( and still is ) the best way of leaving ... however we have wasted two years preparation

This isn’t a hind sight post , many of us were saying from day one after the referendum we should ask the EU what deal and give a month or two for one , if no deal offered then we simply leave ... remember there are 3 people in this dog race , the uk , the other 27 countries and the EU ( a non elected governing body) .... had we made it clear two years we are leaving with no deal then considering we buy far more than we export to Europe, that Ireland needs anything and everything to come through England then the business in Europe would be screaming at their Mp’s to make a deal before BMW shuts production lines etc .... but in reality parliament has always been against leaving and simply run the clock down , has gone back against its saying the referendum result will be honoured , has voted to take back power from the people to parliament and will now cancel brexit .... was all a big game and the elite as always hold the cards

And as for her Irish border problem there are two options , one being ( the simplest ) an open border for everyone but a few areas that trucks go to simply to clear customs and have papers stamped ( this used to happen for freight into Europe ) as this causes no noticeable difference Day to dat lives of people ... or the second option is we don’t want a border so let the EU place a border !!!!
( I would add that today with modern anti terrorist surveillance IRA and other idiots would be caught and rounded up within minutes so we would never return to the 70s)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I think that No Deal is the worst outcome of leaving.

It is however preferable to not leaving.

We are a democracy, we voted to Leave, we cannot be overruled by a Political Elite.
Try telling that to the Political Elite Swimmy! Ever since the leave result was announced they have been finding different plans to stop it... and that is why we are in the current mess!

Too many people wanted to remain, to satisfy their personal needs & if they find a way to prevent our leaving, then I would have to say that the word "democracy" is a word they can no longer use when discussing the UK.

If I ruled any other country in the world, I would not wish to trade with the UK when they have demonstrated that they are able to move the goalposts after decisions have been agreed......after all that is what they have done to their own people
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 09:28 AM

The hard brexiteers will never win with Parliament wanting something much softer, and it will come to pass that the PM's deal voted down last night was probably the hardest brexit that would have been possible. I predict that many brexiteers who voted against it will rue that decision in times to come.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The hard brexiteers will never win with Parliament wanting something much softer, and it will come to pass that the PM's deal voted down last night was probably the hardest brexit that would have been possible. I predict that many brexiteers who voted against it will rue that decision in times to come.
I suspect that, now that all bluffs have been called, a new deal will be forged in the nick of time which will be sufficient to appease both sides.

But we wait and see. It's one mightily odd situation.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 09:37 AM

The big mistake, from the beginning was making it a Government issue not a Parliament issue. Cross party involvement would have worked better for everyone. We would all have had a say through our MPs instead of May plowing ahead with what suits her and the Tories.

I must mention our local MP (Tory) has kept us up to date and has asked us for our thoughts regularly. Well done him, although I didn't vote for him I think he's a good guy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I suspect that, now that all bluffs have been called, a new deal will be forged in the nick of time which will be sufficient to appease both sides.

But we wait and see. It's one mightily odd situation.
That will be interesting to see, a new deal that appeases both sides... the impossible dream I'm afraid...

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top