Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Re: Secrets of the Great Pyramid of Giza

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
You likely went in the wrong month. I was there in March. Not remotely hot. Just a comfortable, though warm, experience.
I can't remember tbh. I know a lot of people had travelled there only to sit in the shade and not actually venture out to the pyramid.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 08:59 AM

The pyramids are great .
Beating off the numerous importuning locals is not so great .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The pyramids are great .
Yes very annoying. They all have an Uncle in Yorkshire for some reason.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 09:26 AM

The pyramids are great .
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

How true. I often hired a driver and car to ferry me around. They all practically insist on taking you to a "Hieroglyphs Museum". Fake stuff sold to stupid tourists. The drivers get "kickbacks".

Finally, I had to put my foot down. I told each and every driver that if he took me to a "Hieroglyph Museum", I would not pay him one cent.

I told them I am paying them to take me where I want to go, not to take me where he wants to go. Gotta be FIRM !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Bradford, no doubt!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 04:13 PM

The wife and I visited the Pyramids when we went to Cairo on a three-day excursion from Cyprus. The larger of the three pyramids was closed but I was allowed to go into the next one in the series. Entry was by a steep shaft around five-feet high and so had to stoop low to get to the bottom and into a chamber. The blocks inside the chamber were so well made that there wasn't a single gap between any of them - excellent engineering and craftsmanship.

A bit of a laugh. There was an Egyptian in the chamber holding up a lamp and silently pointing to different parts of the chamber then held his cupped hand out for a tip.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 04:17 PM

The pyramids are great .
So very true. We were harangued by beggars and the locals constantly, at one point having our tour coach being chased by men on camels. At the Sphinx, they were locals stuffing things in our pockets as we walked round and because they `gave` us something, expected something in return.

Won't be going back any time soon, if ever.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-08-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Bradford, no doubt!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A bit of a laugh. There was an Egyptian in the chamber holding up a lamp and silently pointing to different parts of the chamber then held his cupped hand out for a tip.
Hopefully, you didn't happen to have any loose change!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-08-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The wife and I visited the Pyramids when we went to Cairo on a three-day excursion from Cyprus. The larger of the three pyramids was closed but I was allowed to go into the next one in the series. Entry was by a steep shaft around five-feet high and so had to stoop low to get to the bottom and into a chamber. The blocks inside the chamber were so well made that there wasn't a single gap between any of them - excellent engineering and craftsmanship.

we had a similar thing in one of the temples.

'Come, I show you bat'.

Three paces and a pointing finger later and he wants a tip

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top