Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 01:25 AM

Re: Our daily visitor............

We have a robin who has started visiting our garden the last week. It's very friendly. lands quite near my husband while he is in the garden. Also got some blue tits, wood pigeons, and a little wren.
Though with all the neighbours cats they need to be quick at flying off.

Nice photo Moli
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
Every time we put out fat balls, the greedy crows, rooks, and magpies make very short work of them. It would be lovely to see such a colourful bird like that woodpecker for a change.
Hehe - the crows & magpies are very clever, and they can easily finish a fat ball if they are able use their talons to pull it up to the branch they are sitting on. So I have learned to hang the fat balls in a thin steel wire (the sort used for flower-binding).

This usually works - but once & a while I have noticed magpies who have a very clever approach to this problem. One magpie is "hovering" and picking food out of the fat ball and the others are sitting on the ground eating what comes down. I have even noticed that they change between them who is doing the picking.

Crows are also very clever birds, and me and my little rottie loves feeding them in the winter. We feed them with dog-food - and every winter at least a couple of them gets so tame they will take food from my outstreched hand.

Must admit I really admire the intelligence of these birds.
We live in a city with 150' inhabitants, but the crows will know us wherever we are. They will land very close to us and expect to be rewarded - and they will "compete" with my rottie in "who gets the treat" if I throw a treat along the road.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 03:40 AM

Interesting, Anna! Crows are extremely smart birds.
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

23-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Glorious!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top