Amanda is female 

02-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Re: Painting a tired pine bedroom suite

Thanks Pats

Thats sounds just the ticket.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Amanda - Dulux and Crown do a nice 'satin finish' paint designed for painting wood ... nice finish, we use it and you clean the brush in water - no turps !
Also, Hubbs says, you would be better off sandpapering over the wood, then microcloth over - as the ESP would be more time consuming ...
Your choice gal .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

I had same problem, old bedroom furniture. I bought a headboard from a charity shop, varnished dark wood. Got someone to sand it & painted it with acrylic "gloss" silk, didn't need primer because of sanding. Then I sanded back to create worn look & added flowers from a plastic doily. Then painted again, rest of furniture so far has new handles which made huge difference.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Well done Twiz - I agree, new handles make such a good difference
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 07:42 PM

Had to get rid of my lovely huge pine bed when we down-sized so had to be creative!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 08:27 PM

Hello Amanda.
Have you thought of lime waxing your bedroom furniture. I did some old pine bedside cabinets and a bed this way and it gives a shabby chic effect which can be quite nice. I found it easier to do than painting because it is quite forgiving to use and you don't have to be an expert, but you do need to prepare the surface a bit first, especially if the pine is a bit shiny and varnished. . I don't know if I can advertise, but here goes - I used Ronseal Lime Brushing Wax and was quite pleased with the effect. If your furniture has a highly varnished finished you will need to sand it off a bit first so that the product has something to key into. The beauty of lime waxing is that you can re-do it easily when you want to. There must be some information on the internet and I know Ronseal have a booklet to download if you need it.
Amanda
Derby
Amanda is female 

02-06-2013, 09:15 PM

thanks again for the information Pats

Ive used Dulux satin finish before its nice paint to work with so will see if they have a nice cream, i want a buttery cream if possible.

Your headboard looks great Twizard

Hi Aerolor

thank for your input, no i hadn't thought about lime waxing, its something to think about, it would most likely achieve a shabby chic look, the only thing there is i wanted a cream colour so would have to use paint, but i do like the idea.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top