Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 11:50 PM

Football Clubs

Did you see on the news today about the young 24 year old footballer who has just been sold for 85 million pounds? I'm sorry, but I think it's all wrong. The lad is not a world famous surgeon, or a gifted scientist, nor a famous pioneer of anything useful, he just plays football! These clubs must have more money than sense
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 11:54 PM

Re: Football Clubs

Absolutely crazy !!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 12:00 AM

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks so Myrtle.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm glad it's not just me who thinks so Myrtle.
I'm sure the majority of people agree - it's obscene what the footballers are paid and these rediculous transfer fees !
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 12:08 AM

I blame the fans who are willing to pay the highly inflated prices to watch them.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 12:39 AM

Indeed, it is very obscene, when we have folk in this country, a supposedly First World country in the 21st century, living on the streets, many through no fault of their own and having to sleep rough in cardboard boxes in the depths of winter and literally freezing to death, with no food in their bellies, and many living worse than folk in Third World Countries because of sad circumstances.

Even some old folk freeze to death in their own homes or starve to death through lack of money, whilst these kids are getting paid enormous sums which they can't deal with.

I don't know owt about football, except to say perhaps that these blokes are paid phenomenal sums of money to kick a ball around every now and again.

Makes me wonder how they sleep at night.

Sorry about the rant.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I blame the fans who are willing to pay the highly inflated prices to watch them.
Quite correct, no market no sale, but I would suspect it's not only ticket sales that swell football clubs coffers, I would not mind betting that a portion of your Sky subscription, and the like, is channelled to these clubs, so, unintentionally, somewhere along the line, we are probably all paying a bit if this geezers wages.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:20 AM

The bulk of the money comes from you, you are the folks who buy the products they advertise, I don't blame the footballer he is good at what he does and is in demand, and his career is short.
And of course our old friend Rupert Murdock, with his Sky deals.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:29 AM

I am not a football fan so I just hear snippets on the radio about these things, putting together the snippets I may have got the wrong end of the stick but it seems to me the bubble will have to burst very soon.

Stop me if I have any of this wrong.

Clubs are bringing in new owners who supply money to clear their debts, many millions in some cases. Clubs make money from TV subscriptions so if Murdock decided to stop showing games their income would dry up instantly.

And they are still paying multi millions for players transferring from one club to another.

Last time I heard anything so silly was amidst the banking crash and look how well that has worked out
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 09:01 AM

The Premiership in England is the most watched football games in the World.
You have billions who watch Man Utd and Chelsea. The money comes from lots of tv stations. Sky would not drop the football as they also make a fortune from it. They make millions from the football shirts they sell.
If you have a commodity in football like a player called Gareth Bale you pay as much as the seller offers him for. This case means that Real Madrid had to pay 100million Euros for Bale because that's how much Tottenham Hotspurs wanted for him. Obscene I agree but that is what football is nowadays its money, money, money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top