Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

There are all kinds of tools on a goldsmiths bench
One needs them to polish and sheen
Jewels to grace the neck of any young wench
And make her feel like a Queen.

Now Molly O’Mara was a plain little girl
One wouldn’t look at her twice
But hang on her chest a beautiful beryl
Then she’ll have her confetti and rice.

I once knew a man as ugly as sin
The ladies refused all his bids
So he bought a diamond tie pin
Now he has six little kids.

And that ends the commercial for diamonds, I even managed to squeeze in a man to broaden the scope of sales. I hope DeBeers don’t forget me cheque this year.

I was interested to read this bit in Wikipedia, seems they can now track their diamonds.

“In 2011, Anglo American took control of De Beers after buying the Oppenheimer's family stake of 40 percent for US$5.1 billion (£3.2 billion) and increasing its stake to 85 percent, ending the 80-year Oppenheimer control of the company.[12] In 2018, De Beers became the first diamond company to announce that it would track its diamonds using blockchain technology, though this technology has not yet been rolled out”
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Most of the old traditional stuff will eventually die out but can you imagine a world without the Gloucester Cheese Rolling competion or Bog Snorkerling at Llanwrtyd Wells. What could possibly replace those kind of events. Answers by texts no longer than 7 letters please.

The B words like De Beers and Bulova. seem to resonate wealth Talking of firsts. Bulova had the very first TV commercial

The first television advertisement was broadcast in the United States at 2:29 p.m. on July 1, 1941. NBC affiliate WNBT aired this 10 second spot before a baseball game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and Philadelphia Phillies, displaying a Bulova watch over a map of the U.S. with a voice over of the company's slogan "America runs on Bulova time!" The Bulova commercial was the world's first legal television commercial and cost the Bulova Watch Company a whopping $9.00 USD.

We couldn't afford that kind of money so saved up our pennies and played it safe with our first TV ad which was the 1955 Gibbs SR tingling toothpaste ad. A dead cert seller if ever there was one.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:29 PM

"We couldn't afford that kind of money so saved up our pennies and played it safe with our first TV ad which was the 1955 Gibbs SR tingling toothpaste ad. A dead cert seller if ever there was one"

I remember that SR toothpaste ad well Solo, I was going to say I remember it clearly but that would be a lie, the TV reception for ITV over here was chronic, remember the “Snow” all over the 17” bubble screen? maybe it wasn’t so bad over there but here it was terrible, the result was the aerials became higher and higher, especially over the public houses, thousands of the things everywhere, the whole city looked a huge mess of weird shaped aerials back in the early sixties.
It wasn’t until 1963 that we got our own TV station here, then the greedy buggers managed to get jam on both sides of their bread by influencing the powers that be, they got the TV licence money AND advertisement money too!, they managed to keep it that way up to the present day.
Yes what Brendan Behan once said is very true over here, “The National emblem of Ireland is the Harp, and the more strings you can pull the better for yourself”
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 09:30 AM

B/W TV never amounted too much in my early world as I was an avid Radio fan and saw TV as a bit of a killjoy. No one I knew spoke or dressed like they did and on the odd occasion we deigned to watch something we all ended up hooting with laughter at their accents or what was being worn. Folk with plums in their mouths weren't up our street at all. Evening dress or bow tie to us seemed a bit over the top to just tell the news. Our mams and dads could have done it a whole lot better in their aprons and shirt sleeves and at least we would have understood them.

Radio gave your imagination wings whereas TV took that away. By the way if a TV aerial dared show up in our street it was great for catapult practice.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Solo, not a paid up member of the Logie Baird fan club then?
solo
UK

08-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Fraid not. Well Marquis Marconi being Italian and me being a lover of Sivoris ice cream at the time slightly swung it for our devoted radio loyalty especially as all Logie had to offer was something called haggis and a postage size flickery image.

We kids had heard of ice cream but had never heard or tasted haggis. We knew which side our bread was buttered on even in them days. Nothing changes does it
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 04:07 PM

From August
"What ails thee Jock?"
So said Thomas Babington Macauley a child prodigy whose first words, legend has it, were: "What ails thee, Jock?"; This was at the age of 4.

I have a ruddy complexion and people often say I look as if I've been on holiday. This being the case I was shocked when two lady friends nurse Gillian and I had coffee with last Tuesday, made a point of saying to me this morning,
"Oh you did look ill on Tuesday, we were quite worried about you"

It fair spoilt my day. I felt great first thing, but now I wonder if I've got something brewing. I think I'll get out my old trusty , dog eared FAMILY DOCTOR & check what I might have.
solo
UK

08-05-2019, 05:32 PM

Stanley Holloway sang an hilarious song about that Robert and it all ended well.

" My word you do look queer!"
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

08-05-2019, 06:30 PM

My God Solo, when I read RJ’s post that's the first thing that came into my mind “My word you do look queer”

Don’t go checking too deeply RJ, the way I look at it is sometimes it’s better to have something and not know you have it than to have it and know all about it, it’ll only add mental anguish to the something you have, or think you have in the first place, whereas if you hadn’t bothered to check you wouldn’t be worried whether you had it it or not, if you follow me, no I didn’t think you would, follow me that is.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

08-05-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I always thought John logie Baird was the inventor of Television, but it seems there were several names involved, Philo Farnsworth, and Charles Francis Jenkins also pop up and it seems we can’t put all the blame on any one person.
Anyway Logie was a great man God bless him, and like all men he had his ups and downs, especially in his early days.
Who would connect Logie with diamonds and Doc Marten boots?
"Some of Baird's early inventions were not fully successful. In his twenties he tried to create diamonds by heating graphite and shorted out Glasgow's electricity supply. Later Baird invented a glass razor, which was rust-resistant, but shattered. Inspired by pneumatic tyres he attempted to make pneumatic shoes, but his prototype contained semi-inflated balloons, which burst (years later this same idea was successfully adopted for Dr. Martens boots). He also invented a thermal undersock (the Baird undersock), which was moderately successful. Baird suffered from cold feet, and after a number of trials, he found that an extra layer of cotton inside the sock provided warmth" Wiki.
Logie is a wonderful name, I searched to find out why John Baird was called ‘Logie’ and discovered that as a child Logie was very small for his age, his mother, who was a widow, fell in love with an American inventor, when the American first saw young John Baird he was taken aback by his size and said “Gee woman, who’s the low guy?” and the name stuck.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top