Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 02:44 AM

Cashless Society

I wonder if we will every become a cashless society...

I think it will be good for the banks, but what about the people, will we benefit from a cashless society?

What is your thoughts on this.....what's the pros and cons.....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 02:46 AM

Re: Cashless Society

Pubs/Bars don't like debit cards or credit cards. They like cash...but a lot of places don't like cash only because of employee theft.

Our golf course won't take cash anymore.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I wonder if we will every become a cashless society...

I think it will be good for the banks, but what about the people, will we benefit from a cashless society?

What is your thoughts on this.....what's the pros and cons.....
Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Pubs/Bars don't like debit cards or credit cards. They like cash...but a lot of places don't like cash only because of employee theft.

Our golf course won't take cash anymore.
I am virtually cashless now most of my transactions are done by debit or credit card. Maccas, pubs and clubs all seem to be mainly cashless places (I have not quite gone that far)

Once I would use an ATM every other day but now I use them less that once a month. Of course the federal government is delighted, far harder to fiddle your tax return when every transaction is recorded.

Am not sure in the short to medium term that we will be completely cashless but I can see it coming. Already we are nearly to the point where all you need is a phone number or an email address to make a financial transaction with PayID and your phone.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:11 AM

I mainly use a debit card or phone but do carry a little cash to pay for milk etc at my local shop. How else will he fiddle the tax man��
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:34 AM

Even Stagecoach buses have a contactless alternative to using cash. That could actually be quite handy when you needed cash for the bus.

On the other hand I'm a little suspicious of these machines because sometimes you don't get a receipt and have to take their word for it that they have taken the correct money from your account.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:07 AM

Bring it on! We can handle it. I carry a phone case with a zippered pouch that holds my drivers license, a credit card, and a twenty dollar bill that I am loathe to spend so I won't have to deal with the change.

I don't mind cash, but I'd like to see all coins go to philanthropy when making transactions. We have many places here that ask you to round up for this that or the other cause. Not a bad idea.

Floydy, I often take a photo with my phone of the transaction screen when making a paperless transaction, especially when buying gasoline. I delete them once I get the monthly card statement .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Bring it on! We can handle it. I carry a phone case with a zippered pouch that holds my drivers license, a credit card, and a twenty dollar bill that I am loathe to spend so I won't have to deal with the change.

I don't mind cash, but I'd like to see all coins go to philanthropy when making transactions. We have many places here that ask you to round up for this that or the other cause. Not a bad idea.

Floydy, I often take a photo with my phone of the transaction screen when making a paperless transaction, especially when buying gasoline. I delete them once I get the monthly card statement .

Recently I wrote to the Reserve Bank suggesting that for convenience they get rid of the $1 and $2 coins and replace them with plastic notes (originally they were paper notes). They said no because the coins still last longer than the new notes.

I really liked Myanmar and (I think) Vietnam's currency because they have no coins at all, all their money is notes , which I thought was so convenient.

It really bugs me carrying coins - some are useless eg 5c and others are too big eg 50c. They are slowly redesigning the notes but I wish they would redesign the coins if they are going to keep them so their weight is proportional to their value then you would never have to sort them - just weigh them.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:28 AM

I don't think 'cashless' will happen in my life time. I do not own - and will not have - a credit card. I use my debit card to draw cash or to pay household accounts.

I like using cash. If I see something I would like to buy I check what is in my purse - deduct the amount needed for food etc, then decide whether or not to buy. Physically doing that keeps me aware of what I am spending. The danger with cards is - it does not feel like spending money.

A couple of my friends live on plastic. They have five credit cards between them and are always juggling the interest - they owe thousands. Very silly - as they are both in zero hours employment in a call centre and can never guarantee there will be work for them each week. I could not live like that.

The only time I ever had a credit card was when I went to India. It seemed a good idea to have a 'safety net' in case of emergency - didn't need it - cut it up when I came home.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Even Stagecoach buses have a contactless alternative to using cash. That could actually be quite handy when you needed cash for the bus.

On the other hand I'm a little suspicious of these machines because sometimes you don't get a receipt and have to take their word for it that they have taken the correct money from your account.

What machines is that,Floydy?

I don't like giving cash over the counter,as everyone is always in a rush,and you don't know if they have given the right change,..it has happened to me on a number of occasions
but it's to late to go back to check out,..and another thing,I have been charged with an extra item,which I never purchased,always check the receipt,..
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 09:28 AM

I like to have a bit of cash on me if I am buying one item under a tenner, but I apart from that I use my debit card.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top