Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:09 AM

Still working or retired?

Who is still working and if so, how long have you got left until you plan to retire?

Perhaps you have never worked, i.e. been a housewife, or had to quit early through ill-health.

Or what about majority of you on here (I'm expecting) who are retired. At what age did you stop working and begin your well-earned easy lifestyle?

And of those who still do work, is it because of necessity or do you actually enjoy your job?

I'll go into depth about my own situation in a later post.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:13 AM

Re: Still working or retired?

I retired when I was 69. Various reasons.
I still do a bit of consultancy which keeps the brain active.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I retired when I was 69. Various reasons.
I still do a bit of consultancy which keeps the brain active.
Good man, most play hangman

I remember my dad having to retire early at 62. He was deaf in one ear all his life and they wanted to promote him to a manager of a joinery company. He went to meetings but couldn't hear what they were talking about so he retired.
He still had loads of contacts though and was always doing 'guvvies' for friends and others right up to when his dementia set in and made him unable to function at all.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good man, most play hangman

I remember my dad having to retire early at 62. He was deaf in one ear all his life and they wanted to promote him to a manager of a joinery company. He went to meetings but couldn't hear what they were talking about so he retired.
He still had loads of contacts though and was always doing 'guvvies' for friends and others right up to when his dementia set in and made him unable to function at all.
Yes, I went deaf in one ear in my sixties. But mostly everything is done by email now. You can't really explain a spreadsheet over the phone.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:27 AM

I still work on research Floydy.
I mostly work online, but also in the field.
I love my voluntary work also.
Oh, you want to know what don't you.
No Pms no personal stuff - sorry. x
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 03:08 AM

I retired at 60 but I now wish I had retired earlier. I was a self funded retiree for the first five years now I get a part state pension.

My only objection to retirement is that, unlike working, you don't get any days off. However I love every minute of it; I don't know how I ever found time for work.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Hi Floydy...
I've always kinda worked here and there throughout my life in various different way/jobs...I've always had mental health issues and caring duties to manage within my family.
I gave up working full time a long time ago now as cancer and other
(Long term) health issues meant I couldn't do what I wanted. I tend to take life at an extremely leisurely pace now what with having secondary cancers of the bone now coming back in my spine. Life's as good as my treatment allows it to be for now. Long may it last. I don't think I'd have changed anything about life tbh...as I have enjoyed it all for the main part....illness just can be such a drag tho.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 08:15 AM

I retired at 64 from full time work . For many years prior i worked at 3 jobs . I retrained at the age of 57 when i changed from secretary receptionist in an accountants to a charity where a colleague and i set up all the footcare clinics in Dorset. I was also working as a wayfinder for the same charity and working in a post office one and a half days a week . It was tough life seemed to be all work .

I retired at 64 from all that and sighed with relief , my training in footcare gave me the opportunity to continue working a few hours a week to earn a bit extra to help run my car and a few treats . 5 years on im still doing it .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 08:29 AM

I retired at 57. I remember going into work and thinking, ’I really don’t need this s***’ said hello to my team, emptied my desk to the astonishment of all and said, ‘that’s it lads I’m off” I got in my car drove away, opened the window and threw my watch out, I have never worn a watch since. I have done a lot of charity work since then mainly as a trainer. It was the best move I ever made.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 08:45 AM

I took early retirement at 60 - and never looked back.

After 60 years of dancing to other people's tunes - parents, OH, employers etc., the freedom of being able to do what I want, how I want, when I want is blissful!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top