Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Re: Pond Removal

I filled my pond in a few years ago and turned it into a rockery type thing for a while, then I decided to make a fake pond using the top of a round glass table to give the water effect. It was much smaller than yours though.

If that was mine I'd fill it with soil and use it as a raised bed.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I had to fill in my pond before I moved (landlord rules) it broke my heart as there were little frogs living in it.
I'm planning another here, just a small one, the last one was a large feed bucket and had loads of plants and insects etc.
If I had your pond Pesta I would put a smaller pond in, fill in around it with soil and plants, just puncture the liner all over. those pond plants probably will either survive or perish if they can't live in soil, or you could leave a bit of liner to make a bog garden (irises and reeds, rushes etc) which will catch the overflow from the smaller pond.

Just a thought
Hi Tess, did you do it yourself?

Yes, I will have to make sure the live stock is taken care of.
There's a stream across the close, so if there's frogspawn or frogs and newts, I'll take them over there and give them a new home.

I don't think I'll have another pond, seems to defeat the object and just adds to the expense
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally, I would get quotes from a few handymen first. There's nothing designer about removing a pond, just hard work. Try to get someone who is sympathetic towards wildlife if possible. Pond plants can be sold or advertised for free on Freecycle (best time for people wanting pond plants is Spring). Then you could try selling any equipment you have such as waterfalls, pumps, filters etc. If you don't fancy the bother then just bin them.

As suggested, the easiest way to fill it would be with top soil and make good with some edging of some sort. Again, a handyman should be able to do this. Perhaps, you could plant a small tree there.
Thanks for that DongLing. Yes I agree about the designer bit.

As for planting a tree, definitely no tree!. I've enough already

I'm going to download some more photos in a bit so you can see the area as I'm not sure I'll need any more bushes or garden area there.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-02-2019, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I filled my pond in a few years ago and turned it into a rockery type thing for a while, then I decided to make a fake pond using the top of a round glass table to give the water effect. It was much smaller than yours though.

If that was mine I'd fill it with soil and use it as a raised bed.
Hi Nicol, that sounds interesting the fake pond Have you any piccies?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-02-2019, 10:58 PM

If I do get the pond removed, assuming I can find someone, I'll probably have it paved to match what's already there. (Ideally I should have a new path, but I can't afford that).

In my mind's eye I can't see anything else in the space and have to think of the cost anyway.

Basically the garden's a T shape. If I do get rid of the pond I'll be looking at the bush and flower area when I come out the back door (which is ready at the back of the pond). It has a dry stone wall sloping upwards with conifers at the top, laburnum tree and leylandii. (All of which pruning wise isn't cheap). twisted:

Question. If I have a path, once they take pond out, could they use the actual rocks, stones and the wall mashed up as a base under the paving? I'm unsure what is used under paving.

Just showing some more photos to give an idea of the space and the height at the back of the pond.
The skewed (for some reason) picture is to show the height of the leylandii before I had it pruned! You'll have to crick your neck

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_02-07-19-21-30.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	8665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_-02-07-19-18-18.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	8666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-37-41.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	8667   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130522_174611.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	8668  
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 06:38 PM

Yes you could use the rocks and wall as a base, but I doubt any contractor would have the time or inclination to carry out such back breaking work, they’ll more likely skip the lot and start afresh, as for the base for a slab, a lot depends on how much traffic it gets, if only light foot traffic, then they can be layed on sand or a sand,cement mix, providing the ground is stable, if the path, patio is used a lot then a hardcore base may be required, a landscaper will be able to advise you on your requirements..
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Thanks Primus
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Probably the cheaper option would be to remove the liner and fill in with top soil, then keep as a raised bed, you could plant shrubs, flowers or anything you fancy, I’m sure you could get soil cheaper than 2k, I would however, buy a small rigid pond, to keep water in your garden and encourage some aquatic life, they are relatively easy to fit if you are able, but that’s just me..
That's exactly what we did, many many years ago, with my mother's pond.

My mate and I filled it with soil. What she grew in it then was entirely up to her.

The only thing I might add is that you should consider puncturing the existing liner - I assume there is one - as otherwise the soil would become increasingly waterlogged in wet weather.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-02-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's exactly what we did, many many years ago, with my mother's pond.

My mate and I filled it with soil. What she grew in it then was entirely up to her.

The only thing I might add is that you should consider puncturing the existing liner - I assume there is one - as otherwise the soil would become increasingly waterlogged in wet weather.
JB, I wouldn't have it punctured, I would expect the liner to be removed along with everything else.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
JB, I wouldn't have it punctured, I would expect the liner to be removed along with everything else.
No need.

No need to remove the walls either. A raised bed has walls!

Of course, it's entirely up to you what you do, but why make work for yourself?

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top