Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:52 AM

Hearing Again

I picked up my new hearing aids today. Over 30 years in the Power and Steel Industries have taken their toll on my hearing (though I always wore hearing protection).

It was obvious that something was wrong some years back when my son played me a recording of his sonar going through his ship - as far as I was concerned it was a totally blank recording, I thought he was taking the piss.

Anyway over the years it has got worse and now my TV volume is on 70% and I still have to use subtitles I thought it was time to do something about it. I have lost a lot of the high frequencies (which probably explains why I have trouble understanding women) and reduced hearing generally.

Remarkable little devices, they are made and programmed in the Netherlands and almost invisible. First day of wearing them and already the clock in the lounge is driving me mad clunking away...

(I don't know why that last photo is sideways it is the right way up on my computer - both taken with my phone though)

Didn't cost me a cent either, well worth getting your hearing tested and getting it corrected.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-18 10.23.26.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	9067   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-18 10.23.56-1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	9068  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Re: Hearing Again

That's great Bruce .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 09:57 AM

Well done Bruce, I've got a pair of Oticons the same. I know people, including my brother, who should have them but don't/won't.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 10:06 AM

I can't hear you........hello.....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Technology huh.....wonderful
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 11:09 AM

That's great technology at it's best !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:13 PM

I am pleased you can hear me Bruce, I got fed up of shouting.
Seriously though I am happy for you. X
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:15 PM

That is good news, long may your hearing last. I've lost a few of my high frequencies, too but am told that is natural with getting older.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 01:16 AM

I wore my hearing aids all day and was thinking that they weren't doing that much... Until I took them out!

Really, I only got them because a couple of people mentioned that I didn't hear them if I was walking away from them and on a couple of occasions I have talked over someone in a group when they were not in my line of sight and I hadn't realised they had started talking a fraction of a second before me.

I have compensated for hearing loss by having the TV up much louder and using subtitles and I was getting near to the stage where a noisy environment affected my ability to take part in a conversation however, as yet, my hearing loss certainly didn't impact on my quality of life but after only one day I have to say that they are brilliant!

I didn't wear them when I went out for my walk this morning because I listen to the wireless using earbuds but once I was home and showered I was pretty keen to get the hearing aids in. My biggest fear at the moment is that I forget them when I go for a shower because wearing them is no discomfort at all (I might have several showers a day depending on what I am doing)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top