Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Re: Consumer choice is reducing

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Having woken up in the middle of the night what else do you do but go online to have a look at the latest slimline dishwasher models. We've had the current Bosch 16 years and it's still going but thought it would be nice to replace it. However, going online they now look tiny inside with only about half the room to stack dishes. You'd think in all these years they would have given you more room!

So then went to look for another marvel mat having bought a fabulous one in store from Dunelm last year which is great for when the dog comes in from outside.

Firstly impossible to navigate their site as it seems really disorganised and then it was coming up with error messages. Turns out that they don't do the design I wanted in the size I wanted but they do it in other sizes or they have a different design in the size I want. Yet in store last year they had lots of choice.

Is anyone finding it harder to find what you want online these days? It seems that sellers are being lazy with their website design. Overall the choice of what's on offer and design quality seems to be going right downhill. Websites take forever to load with various pop-up rubbish.

Consumerism seems well and truly over. Makes me think of Henry Ford's quote, you can have your car painted any colour as long as it's black.
I dont think consumerism is over at all Annie's
I think that consumerism is at the core of uks problems.
We currently consume considerably more than we produce,
Our whole economy is based on consumer confidence,
Code for spending more than we can afford
Surely a recipe for disaster.
So where does the money come from for this spending
Credit!
The banks lend us the money, via credit ards, loans etc
The banks charge interest on these loans, to make profit
for the banks
A very simple concept
But, a fly in the ointment! The uk has, over 4 decades
Past, been selling of our industries to whoever would buy
them.
We have no real exports to use to replace our credit or
Borrowings as we did before we deindustrialised
We, now are almost entirely dependent on our banking
industry
For me, not a good place to be
Just take the 2008 banking crisis,which led to the austerity
Programne we are still suffering from today as the public
are compelled to pay the debts of risk taking banks
None of this is sustainable

Best Regards Donkeyman.

PS, all this from underpants.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:20 PM

Providing choice also makes money. Companies are focusing too much on paring down the value chain to its bare bones. It's all about shareholder wealth and not enough about the "customer is king".
I have an investment portfolio that includes shares in a number of companies and my ONLY interest is that providing shareholder value is the number one objective of any management board of a business that I have invested in.

The customer is king is an outdated principle, indeed once out of direct contact with the customer it has to be set aside.

Customers are a resource.

A resource of cash that can be exploited by exchanging goods or services for cash. But decisions have to be made involving market value and targeted market share.

Look on it this way.

If I can capture 90% of market target share by offering a product that delivers 50% of possible options then why bother in effect wasting money in order to reach the 10% that I am missing?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I have an investment portfolio that includes shares in a number of companies and my ONLY interest is that providing shareholder value is the number one objective of any management board of a business that I have invested in.

The customer is king is an outdated principle, indeed once out of direct contact with the customer it has to be set aside.

Customers are a resource.

A resource of cash that can be exploited by exchanging goods or services for cash. But decisions have to be made involving market value and targeted market share.

Look on it this way.

If I can capture 90% of market target share by offering a product that delivers 50% of possible options then why bother in effect wasting money in order to reach the 10% that I am missing?
That's rubbish because if you have no customers you have no market. I realise that's the way shareholder led businesses have been going but really they are eating their own tail in the process. You end up with companies opening themselves up to new entrants that can deliver quality and choice. That's why so many businesses in the west are going belly up. They are forgetting who butters their bread.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I dont think consumerism is over at all Annie's
I think that consumerism is at the core of uks problems.
We currently consume considerably more than we produce,
Our whole economy is based on consumer confidence,
Code for spending more than we can afford
Surely a recipe for disaster.
So where does the money come from for this spending
Credit!
The banks lend us the money, via credit ards, loans etc
The banks charge interest on these loans, to make profit
for the banks
A very simple concept
But, a fly in the ointment! The uk has, over 4 decades
Past, been selling of our industries to whoever would buy
them.
We have no real exports to use to replace our credit or
Borrowings as we did before we deindustrialised
We, now are almost entirely dependent on our banking
industry
For me, not a good place to be
Just take the 2008 banking crisis,which led to the austerity
Programne we are still suffering from today as the public
are compelled to pay the debts of risk taking banks
None of this is sustainable

Best Regards Donkeyman.

PS, all this from underpants.
It's bigger than the Uk Donkeyman. It's capitalism for you which Marx predicted would fail eventually. Amazing vision in hindsight. But there is no alternative. We don't have big enough brains to ever work out the consequences of actions and whatever crank model someone else comes up with can never replace the market. It will just drive the market underground as was the case with communism.

Credit has been allowed to go crazy. But no government will admit that or solve it.

What is really happening right now is that Asia is taking over the World economy. Reviving our industries won't stop that. But it does mean we will have less choice in dishwashers!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 07:00 AM

That's rubbish because if you have no customers you have no market. I realise that's the way shareholder led businesses have been going but really they are eating their own tail in the process. You end up with companies opening themselves up to new entrants that can deliver quality and choice. That's why so many businesses in the west are going belly up. They are forgetting who butters their bread.

I think you are missing the point that what is of vital importance is to target the highest percentage of customers within a market that can be reached at the lowest cost. If a business can reach 95%of customer opportunities at a cost of 50% of that which would be needed to reach 100% then it makes no sense to spend more than 50%, just write off the 5%.

Business is about maximising long term profit - nothing else unless an existing business is taken over with the intent of asset stripping.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 11:40 AM

It's bigger than the Uk Donkeyman. It's capitalism for you which Marx predicted would fail eventually. Amazing vision in hindsight. But there is no alternative. We don't have big enough brains to ever work out the consequences of actions and whatever crank model someone else comes up with can never replace the market. It will just drive the market underground as was the case with communism.

Credit has been allowed to go crazy. But no government will admit that or solve it.

What is really happening right now is that Asia is taking over the World economy. Reviving our industries won't stop that. But it does mean we will have less choice in dishwashers!
Before asia, Annie, it was Japan and Taiwan, and before that
it was uk and America,
Next it will be China
Where to after them
What will decide where the invstment goes is cost of labour
mainly.
South America could be the next candidate, if it can get the
unrest under control, as it has unlimited cheap labour and
the Germans allready have a foothold there
But after that, where will the cheap labour be
IMO, it will be in europe, as trends here seem to be high
unemployment leading to lower wages, so it is possible
in time, for europe to be recycled back to being a competitve
area again.
The fly in the ointment will probably be robots, which will
mean a complete change to all societies

Lot to think about eh!

Best Regards, Donkeyman.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

05-04-2019, 07:12 PM

Yes the robot revolution will change everything. Even currency will be obsolete. it will be like "the machine stops".
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

05-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Yes the robot revolution will change everything. Even currency will be obsolete. it will be like "the machine stops".
Seems to be where we are heading, Annie, but l have a
couple of points which may change the prognosis.Will the
Super rich multi billionares be happy if currency becomes
redundant
If robots become widespread to carry out manufacturing
processes, what becomes of the now redundant people
once employed those industries, how will they be disposed of?
Which then begs the question, who will whoever owns these
robotic manufacturing centres sell their wares to?
The redundant people will have very little worth, & robots don't
have needs, and so will be unlikely to want to puchase
anything.
So for me it is abit of a catch 22 situation for the now
redundant multi billionares.
What do you think Annie?

Best Regards Donkeyman.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 08:40 PM

redundant
anything.

What do you think Annie?

Best Regards Donkeyman.

Which echoes very neatly Karl Marx's prediction of the crisis in the capitalist system as evidenced in "Das Kapital".
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

05-04-2019, 09:22 PM

redundant
anything.
What do you think Annie?

Best Regards Donkeyman.
I think it will be the worst thing to happen to humanity since slavery. Robots will do the work but we will have to give up our identity and freedom to be part of such a society. Human "progress" always seems to lead us back in time as we lose parts of what made us humans to start with.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top