Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Young people react to Pink Floyd

I found a couple of videos from hip hop fans who were being being classic rock music for the first time, in particular Pink Floyd.

It's great that the youth of today can be educated by original music rather than the rap of what they are normally listening to and be completely taken away by well-made, intelligent music for a change.

I played my 8 year-old granddaughter Pink Floyd's 'Money' a few weeks ago and she really loved it. She had never heard anything like that before.
Do you come into contact with anyone from a younger generation who have enjoyed listening to classic rock rather than the disposable pop hits of today?

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Re: Young people react to Pink Floyd

I've always been a Pink Floyd fan. Our son loved their music too. My wife not quite so much but she will still listen to it. Some years ago we all went to a 'Think Floyd' tribute band performance. (They are pretty good too. Mrs. mart and I have been to see them twice.)

By 'all', I mean my wife, our son, his wife and our 12 year old granddaughter. Like me and her Dad, she is also into Pink Floyd and enjoyed the concert a lot. Of course she is into more modern bands as well but true to say, I think she will always like Pink Floyd.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've always been a Pink Floyd fan. Our son loved their music too. My wife not quite so much but she will still listen to it. Some years ago we all went to a 'Think Floyd' tribute band performance. (They are pretty good too. Mrs. mart and I have been to see them twice.)

By 'all', I mean my wife, our son, his wife and our 12 year old granddaughter. Like me and her Dad, she is also into Pink Floyd and enjoyed the concert a lot. Of course she is also into more modern bands as well but true to say, I think she will always like Pink Floyd.
They were just a fantastic band, Mart.
If you get the chance, go to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show. They are the masters at recreating the band's sound and the light show is superb. They are doing concerts this winter as usual.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
They were just a fantastic band, Mart.
If you get the chance, go to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show. They are the masters at recreating the band's sound and the light show is superb. They are doing concerts this winter as usual.
I certainly will if they come somewhere near our way.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:12 PM

Floydy, the kids might react, but do they understand, see, as they get older, they will understand, but not react.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:49 PM

I listened to dark side of the moon when I discovered it my older brother's record collection as a teen in the early 80s. I found a lot of it depressing and a bit disturbing, particularly Brain damage. "We don't need no education" didn't resonate with my view of society at that time. Telling kids what they should think never works. I guess it's music to get high to. I preferred Rush or Santana. Not sure why my brother bought that album as he was a big Stones and Queen fan.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I listened to dark side of the moon when I discovered it my older brother's record collection as a teen in the early 80s. I found a lot of it depressing and a bit disturbing, particularly Brain damage. "We don't need no education" didn't resonate with my view of society at that time. Telling kids what they should think never works. I guess it's music to get high to. I preferred Rush or Santana. Not sure why my brother bought that album as he was a big Stones and Queen fan.
Hi Annie.
Pink Floyd's music has many different sides to it. It certainly isn't "Stoner rock" although I expect many fans of Rush, Queen or even Abba may have smoked a joint in their time.

"Brain Damage" should not be taken literally. It is a piece which fits into DSOTM at a specific point. The album is fundamentally about life. Start to finish. Nothing more.

Similarly, the phrase "We don't need no education" from the single "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" fits in with the context of The Wall album - a story of a young man finding his way through life, including his schooling and rebelling against society.

They are a conceptual band, rather like a musical version of a novel.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:05 PM

Yeah Floydy, definitely off piste.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:11 PM

I think I was just too young and too naive when I heard it Floydy and it was probably not the best introduction to the band. I prefer comfortably numb. I heard that at someone's house after a party in the early hours. It's a work of art.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-04-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think I was just too young and too naive when I heard it Floydy and it was probably not the best introduction to the band. I prefer comfortably numb. I heard that at someone's house after a party in the early hours. It's a work of art.
That's what I was saying initially, Annie about young people and the first time they listened to the band. You illustrate that point perfectly.

'Comfortably Numb' is indeed a classic song, also from The Wall album.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top