Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 10:40 PM

My Back Garden Is Like Southend Airport.

My first day in my garden this year where I actually got down to doing some much needed work. It started off very sunny but pretty chilly. But I found the cold air breathable and began moving around compost that I had purchased at the end of last summer in preparation for the coming year.
I had noticed looking out there these last few weeks that I had more than my normal share of Robins at least 3 pairs have been flying about.
Today I found out why I have them nesting in my fencing very well covered over by the evergreen that has grown up the fence over the past 6 years and to be honest it is like Southend Airport at the moment out there.
I was forever stopping not that I needed an excuse to stop for a hot cuppa but they were flying across the garden from fence to fence, then sitting looking at me their mouths filled with grubs or worms or whatever they could collect.
They would not go to the nests because I was there working.
Now I know that I may have been a strange sight for them, but hey its my ruddy garden.Well at least I thought it was.

I did try getting out there a few weeks back and I actually moved a Mimosa to the corner fencing but it was really cold and my lungs were sore for a few days afterwards.
I really needed to start re-potting some plants out there.
Anyways I re-potted quite a few and moved a fair bit about although I cannot trim the evergreen until those Robins have finished with their nests, I don't want to disturb them and scare them off. Think I may have to Google and see how long this will be going on.
Here's hoping for a nice warm summer this year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Re: My Back Garden Is Like Southend Airport.

Hi there bigfella, how lucky you are to have those lovely little birds nesting so close. I am glad you are allowing them the greenery for a little longer.

There is always so much to do in the garden this time of year isn't there, but be careful not to over do things and knock yourself up, a bit each day will still get the jobs done, and it is forecast to be getting warmer again now too.

Good luck with the chores, you'll get there.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Yes Mups a bit at a time is what the doctor ordered.
2 pairs not 3 my fingers are pressing the wrong keys.. :lol
The surprise for me was that I always thought Robins to be very territorial and to see so many around my garden.
They must be having a gathering..:lol
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:44 AM

I seem to have a surplus of Tits if anyone wants any. As fast as I fill their food containers they empty them. We moved here a little over a year ago and I put up three nesting boxes high enough and sheltered from wind and rain but they don't seem too keen on moving in. The Chaffinch is still landing on my car wing mirror and constantly pecking at his reflection. Why do I feel guilty when I drive off for a few hours? He waits for the car to return and then he carries on pecking.
longfellow
Chatterbox

16-04-2019, 08:06 AM

EZ Rider.
I seem to have a surplus of Tits if anyone wants any.

Oh yes please EZ you can never get enough of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
EZ Rider.

Oh yes please EZ you can never get enough of them.

Behave yerself young man.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:41 PM

I'm glad to hear you are back in your garden LF. It's a bit addictive isn't it. What can sometimes start off as a bit of a chore ends up something enjoyable and it's always good to see Robins in the garden. They always seem to adopt the classic pose of sitting on the handle of the spade. When i was making my pond, i was out there for three or four days but almost had a Robin eating out of my hand in that short time. It's no wonder the Robin is the national favourite - I remember one chasing our cat down the garden once.

The weather looks nice for the Easter weekend btw.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Is there an airport at Southend?
longfellow
Chatterbox

16-04-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Is there an airport at Southend?
Of course Annie it used to be the service airport and storage at night for Stanstead and a small millitary base I believe at one time.
Last figures were over 2 million users a year not bad for a one runway airport. If you have ever been to Murcia in Spain it is along those lines size wise.
Great for disabled and elderly hardly any walking to the planes.Train station just across the road on the opposite side to the airport.
longfellow
Chatterbox

16-04-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm glad to hear you are back in your garden LF. It's a bit addictive isn't it. What can sometimes start off as a bit of a chore ends up something enjoyable and it's always good to see Robins in the garden. They always seem to adopt the classic pose of sitting on the handle of the spade. When i was making my pond, i was out there for three or four days but almost had a Robin eating out of my hand in that short time. It's no wonder the Robin is the national favourite - I remember one chasing our cat down the garden once.

The weather looks nice for the Easter weekend btw.
Cheers LD I am already sleeping better at nights thats just after a couple of days out the back and not napping during the day as well because I am getting fresh air and not just sitting looking at the computer.
Must admit for what I have seen these past few days those Robins are certainly characters aren't they..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top