Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 05:54 PM

Re: Odd Emails

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If someone has got into my address book like RS suggested, how would I tell?
If people told you they were receiving strange emails from you, that would be a clue. You are receiving the e-mails though, so I think it's going to be the sender's addresses that have been gathered.

However, it's so commonplace for the e-mail system to be infiltrated by baddies these days that I've now given up thinking about the ways addresses are harvested. Just be aware that address-gathering happens one way or another and delete, without a second thought, suspicious e-mails from senders pretending to be people you know. If messages don't look/feel right, they probably aren't.

I had a couple of e-mails supposedly from someone I know. There was nothing but a link in the body of the message. A quick look at the e-mail header revealed that message didn't come from them at all but from some country I can't now remember. Deleted the e-mails and that was that.

There are cases where your own e-mail address (not your entire contacts list) has been gathered. That's just because we send our e-mail addresses to so many places and they might get sold on or gathered one way or another. Then you can get messages from the e-mail gatherer who could pretend to be anyone.

The last one of this type I got was from Virgin Media saying they were unable to charge my account for this month and would I confirm the account details. The message was genuine-looking with a proper Virgin Media logo. Some might fall for that I suppose. A look at the e-mail header revealed the message had come from Brazil. Goodbye e-mail

I could ditch that e-mail address since it has fallen into bad hands but I'm not going to. Too much hassle would be involved in telling everyone the change of address. Receiving e-mails of this kind doesn't often happen anyway. Any new address might eventually get harvested too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 11:46 PM

Mart, thank you for such a good, explanation, I found it very reassuring.

As you say, it was me receiving, not the other way round.

Thanks again.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mart, thank you for such a good, explanation, I found it very reassuring.

As you say, it was me receiving, not the other way round.

Thanks again.
The spammer only needs to have seen an email, either from you, or from one of your friends, in which there might be a distribution list i.e. an email copied to others.

For a spammer that is easy to do.

From then on he/she (the spammer) uses a technique, as described in the link below, to make emails look s if the are sourced from someone on your distribution/copy list..

Those who are getting the nasty "I have videos of you" type emails are also using the same con technique.
Emails appearing to be sent from you, to yourself, the same.

Good explanation here:=

https://askleo.com/from_spoofing_how..._came_from_you.

The link also explains how they get your email.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Is there no longer any way of reading an email without opening it? I know you can hover over it and you will get the first line but I seem to remember with previous email accounts, you could right click as though you were going to reply and the whole email would appear.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:20 AM

It's quite easy to make another e mail account, perhaps friends could do that to put your mind at rest Mups, even if just for contacting you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:27 AM

There's a breakers yard site which I have used a few times over the years and I have noticed that each time I use it, I get a few spoof emails afterwards. The last time confirmed it when I got an email from Amazon confirming my order, when I hadn't actually ordered anything. I did a little bit of digging and found that the email had originated from a mosque.

Nothing surprising there I suppose but I won't be using the site again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top