Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Re: Euthanasia, elective and non elective.

Todger, you said about Haemophilia:

"There is also the issue of genetic defects for example haemophilia. I choose that rather than something like the consequences arising from a run of consanguineous marriages in order to avoid being dismissed as being anti muslim although that is a serious and increasing problem in the UK today."

Again, I know more about animals than humans I'm afraid, but when I used to breed my German Shepherds, there were blood tests you could have done to check such hereditary problems before mating.

Obviously if an animal was affected, reputable people wouldn't breed from it.
Mine were also thoroughly checked for other specific breed related problems, so only the healthiest animals ever bred and passed on their genes.

Now what about humans? What tests do we have? None.
On the whole, humans just breed because they want to and with whoever they want to!
Then sometimes the most unsuitable couples (healthwise) reproduce, and sick babies are often the result when both parents carry the same faulty gene.

I bet there would be a worldwide outcry if a law was brought in saying humans must have hereditary health tests before starting a family, but it could well save a lot of heartache later on.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:59 PM

We had blood tests to determine the possibility of our future kids inheriting Tay-Sachs before deciding to have kids. Fortunately the tests were ok.

What gets my goat is to read of folk having a kid with a genetic disease and then go on to have even more.

IMO that is just plain disgusting.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 02:03 PM

I'm all for adults being permitted to elect euthanasia.

Of course, there have to be checks and balances in place, to prevent coercion etc., so am quite willing to accept that the process might take a while.

But of course it should be allowed.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I'm all for adults being permitted to elect euthanasia.

Of course, there have to be checks and balances in place, to prevent coercion etc., so am quite willing to accept that the process might take a while.

But of course it should be allowed.
^^^^

This.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:39 PM

My mother was put on the Liverpool pathway .
It's apalling and cruel .
I belive in euthanasia .

As for children born with severe conditions .
I believe they should be allowed to die quietly after birth
It should IMO be a joint decision of a number of doctors .
It too big a decision for parents .
A life of suffering for a child is no gift .
It is the quality of life that counts .

Yes their are dedicated parents .
But parents die too what happens to that child when they are gone ?

Life at all costs is not always a good life.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

"There is also the issue of genetic defects for example haemophilia. I choose that rather than something like the consequences arising from a run of consanguineous marriages in order to avoid being dismissed as being anti muslim although that is a serious and increasing problem in the UK today."

Again, I know more about animals than humans I'm afraid, but when I used to breed my German Shepherds, there were blood tests you could have done to check such hereditary problems before mating.

Mine were also thoroughly checked for other specific breed related problems, so only the healthiest animals ever bred and passed on their genes.

On the whole, humans just breed because they want to and with whoever they want to!
Then sometimes the most unsuitable couples (healthwise) reproduce, and sick babies are often the result when both parents carry the same faulty gene.

I bet there would be a worldwide outcry if a law was brought in saying humans must have hereditary health tests before starting a family, but it could well save a lot of heartache later on.
I seem to remember reading somewhere, or seeing it on old films, that Americans had to have blood tests before they were granted a marriage licence.

I don't know if it were just some States, or across the whole nation, or whether it still applies.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I don t think so Mups .
As AD has said this already happens in the Jewish communities to prevent defects of consanguinity.

At the moment there are terrible cases of genetic deseases in the Pakistani community in the uk because of the marriage of first cousins .
This really has to be stopped .
It's cruel IMO to bring children into a life of suffering .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 05:33 PM

I never paid much attention to Roman history as much as anything because when it was being taught I was concentrating on getting good A levels in Maths but I do recall being surprised to learn how children under the age of 2 (?) were considered not exactly human and the practice of exposure not only as a means of antenatal birth control but also in the case of deformities.

Not just the Romans but quite common including some of our lot too. Just think, up to only four decades ago it was still taking place here in the UK and still is in many parts of Europe.

In the case of the UK I know this for certain sure. I had a cousin who was a midwife and remember how she would often come round to us, very upset, because of what had been done at a birth.

Then there are the cases of the antics of the nuns at St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Burlington, Vermont, and closer to home the Magdalen Laundries with one in particular but I'm buggered if I can remember the name but it was in Eire.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top