Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Re: In For A Penny’....What A Load Of Trash?

The very first series of The Bletchley Circle wasn't bad, set in England just after the war.

However, the next series moved them to the USA, for some reason, and I don't know who wrote the script but it was absolutely awful! I think it must have been the worst bit of script-writing I've ever seen on the TV. I couldn't bear it. I stuck with it for another couple of episodes but in the end had to give up as it was so gut-wrenchingly awful.

It was like it had been written by an amateur for a local church hall production, and contained so many clichès that it was farcical.

The series is back again, but I couldn't bring myself to see if it had got better, besides which, a lot of the original cast has changed anyway.

(Ps. Nothing wrong with amateurs writing scripts for local church hall productions, but you expect better from national television!)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 09:08 AM

Never seen it. I'm guessing it's on a Saturday night and I never watch TV at that time.
The only ITV programme I watch at all is The Chase during the week because it's a decent show to watch while I'm eating my tea.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Bradley Walsh's Late Night Guestlist was on in the background last night,what I saw of it was utter trash.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
Bradley Walsh's Late Night Guestlist was on in the background last night,what I saw of it was utter trash.
I saw a trailer for that and immediately said I would never watch it. I don't like trashy chat shows.
Graham Norton makes me want to vomit
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
The very first series of The Bletchley Circle wasn't bad, set in England just after the war.

However, the next series moved them to the USA, for some reason, and I don't know who wrote the script but it was absolutely awful! I think it must have been the worst bit of script-writing I've ever seen on the TV. I couldn't bear it. I stuck with it for another couple of episodes but in the end had to give up as it was so gut-wrenchingly awful.

It was like it had been written by an amateur for a local church hall production, and contained so many clichès that it was farcical.

The series is back again, but I couldn't bring myself to see if it had got better, besides which, a lot of the original cast has changed anyway.

(Ps. Nothing wrong with amateurs writing scripts for local church hall productions, but you expect better from national television!)
Possibly dumbed down for US audiences?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Possibly dumbed down for US audiences?
No idea, but it was unbelievably awful.
Pyxell
South of England

12-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
I haven't watched that one, but the thing I hate most about chat shows is that 9 out of 10 guests are only on it to promote a film, song, book, etc.. It annoys me.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Can you think of more trashy programmes? Who devises them and do they think we are braindead?
Well yes I think they do believe viewers are 'brain dead' but I write as someone who only watches a few programmes on TV, the vast majority of TV 'entertainment' programmes are aimed at what I call the lowest common denominator i.e. comprehensive school educated, inner city, with ignorant parents, and a few other attributes

But the viewing public generally gets what it deserves, one can generally get an idea of what you will see on the screen by reading the progam schedules in the weekly TV magazines.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Well yes I think they do believe viewers are 'brain dead' but I write as someone who only watches a few programmes on TV, the vast majority of TV 'entertainment' programmes are aimed at what I call the lowest common denominator i.e. comprehensive school educated, inner city, with ignorant parents, and a few other attributes

But the viewing public generally gets what it deserves, one can generally get an idea of what you will see on the screen by reading the progam schedules in the weekly TV magazines.
Losos, To confirm this, just look and listen to the people who make comments in the audience, on Britain Got Talent!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Never seen it. I'm guessing it's on a Saturday night and I never watch TV at that time.
The only ITV programme I watch at all is The Chase during the week because it's a decent show to watch while I'm eating my tea.
I thought tea was for drinking.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top