Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:43 PM

Chernobyl

I recorded this and just watched it!
How they managed to make this look so real is amazing, terrifying and upsetting.
It must have been so horrific for the poor folk caught up in that at the time also the after effects of it for years.

I really don't want to watch the next episode, but I think I'll have to, to see what went on, I don't think we knew how awful it was.

Puts a lot of our troubles in perpective, that's for sure.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Re: Chernobyl

Gosh you're a brave one for watching it, Tess.
We didn't know the half of it that's the point isn't it, it was played down and covered up?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Gosh you're a brave one for watching it, Tess.
We didn't know the half of it that's the point isn't it, it was played down and covered up?
It had me shaking with anger and sadness, Ruthio. I wish I hadn't watched, but glad I did, if that makes sense.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 10:19 PM

I heard that a helicopter pilot involved in trying to plug the leak by ferrying concrete in, knew the danger and his survival rate would be unlikely, but he still did it anyway, and later succumbed to radiation poisoning, a true hero

I will have to watch this...
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 10:19 PM

North Wales was greatly affected by it
On high ground sirens were going off for months and months and months

We got off lightly
It takes 20,000 years for radioactivity to deplete

20,000 years

In areas surrounding Chernobyl, birth defects are now so horrific .. not one, and I mean not one media company any where in the world would dare to show it

We have an annual scheme in North Wales now to home Chernobyl affected kids for 2 weeks

Those 2 weeks can add up to 2 years on their life expectancy
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
North Wales was greatly affected by it
On high ground sirens were going off for months and months and months

We got off lightly
It takes 20,000 years for radioactivity to deplete

20,000 years

In areas surrounding Chernobyl, birth defects are now so horrific .. not one, and I mean not one media company any where in the world would dare to show it

We have an annual scheme in North Wales now to home Chernobyl affected kids for 2 weeks

Those 2 weeks can add up to 2 years on their life expectancy
Those schemes are good. There are several around the country, bringing children from Ukraine and Belarus.

A lot of the children end up with thyroid problems, blood dyscrasias, fertility problems and all sorts of other problems, which lie hidden for years.

As you say, bringing them over here, away from their own environment, for 2-4 weeks can add 2-5 years to their life expectancy, especially if they are brought around the ages of 10-12.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 09:36 AM

The exclusion zone has become a wildlife refuge

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...rsary-science/
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
The exclusion zone has become a wildlife refuge

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...rsary-science/
Does one presume then that wild animals don't suffer birth defects because of the radiation?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Does one presume then that wild animals don't suffer birth defects because of the radiation?
I'm sure they do, but I suppose they can't use the land for anything else.

It could also be a way of monitoring genetic defects through generations of animals and insects, etc. as their life spans are so much shorter than that of humans, plus long term effects on the vegetation and soil.
Pyxell
South of England

12-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Cynical me, though, is wondering whether various animals weren't reintroduced over the years into the area from unaffected parts, in order to make the effect seem less disastrous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top