Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 08:16 PM

Is There A Thread On Here, Showing How To Get Rid Of Pop-Ups?

I have an Apple iPad Air and l have never had this problem before.
Lately, Pop-Ups keep appearing on Safari and Google Chrome. They are mainly from Car Phone Warehouse or telling me, l’ve won something.
I have deleted all my history but they still keep appearing. I thought stuff like this didn’t happen with Apple?

Admin, If there is a already a thread advising on this problem, please delete this or add this to it.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Re: Is There A Thread On Here, Showing How To Get Rid Of Pop-Ups?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have an Apple iPad Air and l have never had this problem before.
Lately, Pop-Ups keep appearing on Safari and Google Chrome. They are mainly from Car Phone Warehouse or telling me, l’ve won something.
I have deleted all my history but they still keep appearing. I thought stuff like this didn’t happen with Apple?

Admin, If there is a already a thread advising on this problem, please delete this or add this to it.
Dunno about Safari Art, but on chrome you can go into the menu and activate ad block.

Edit - should be under extensions.
Feey
Ireland
Feey is male  Feey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 08:37 PM

i get no ads as i use ad block plus its free and easy to use heres the link to it if you wish to give it a try.

https://adblockplus.org/
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:01 PM

I use Safari browser on a MacBook Pro and have always had AdBlock installed, it's a free version although you can purchase one that I guess is better as it's paid-for. The free one works for me, the only hassle you might get is that some websites will recognise AdBlock is being used and ask you to turn it off or 'whitelist' them, just go to another site and don't use those that do that. Why on earth do they think you use AdBlock, do they believe some of us are stupid!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Feey ->
i get no ads as i use ad block plus its free and easy to use heres the link to it if you wish to give it a try.

https://adblockplus.org/
Thank You, Feey. I have just downloaded it. It didn’t mention ‘pop ups’ but l suppose they are classed as ads?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I use Safari browser on a MacBook Pro and have always had AdBlock installed, it's a free version although you can purchase one that I guess is better as it's paid-for. The free one works for me, the only hassle you might get is that some websites will recognise AdBlock is being used and ask you to turn it off or 'whitelist' them, just go to another site and don't use those that do that. Why on earth do they think you use AdBlock, do they believe some of us are stupid!
Thank You, Baz.
I am not sure what l have done for these annoying pop ups to suddenly start appearing?
Let’s hope AdBlock keeps them at bay!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Dunno about Safari Art, but on chrome you can go into the menu and activate ad block.

Edit - should be under extensions.
Thank You, fender.
I am not sure where l will find the menu and extensions as once the pop up arrived l could not access anything else, as the pop up, wouldn’t go and l wasn’t going to touch anything on it.

Actually, l deleted Google Chrome in the end in ‘Settings’ as the pop up kept appearing.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You, Baz.
I am not sure what l have done for these annoying pop ups to suddenly start appearing?
Let’s hope AdBlock keeps them at bay!
You are welcome. You've not done anything, it's the websites that put these adverts up, that's often how they are funded. Often I've found it's the newspapers and magazines that ask you to turn AdBlock off, it's how any publication, in print form or online is funded. I often feel a little guilty at using AdBlocker as I used to work in the advertising industry, which gave me a good living. On the other hand though I find advertising the way it's done these days to be intrusive!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:19 PM

Safari has a built in pop up blocker which should be enabled

https://www.technipages.com/safari-popup-blocker
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Safari has a built in pop up blocker which should be enabled

https://www.technipages.com/safari-popup-blocker
Ray, l had this switched on in the Settings but it didn’t seem to work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top