Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Royal Mail Parcel Post Boxes

The Royal Mail are installing post boxes in selected towns and cities where you can post a parcel to someone like you would post a letter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48334721

Am I being cynical in thinking that some of these boxes would be broken into and their contents emptied?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 12:50 PM

Re: Royal Mail Parcel Post Boxes

Can't see that working Judd.
It'll cost them more expense to set up, and come Christmas, they'll be emptied long before any post van gets there.

How would you know what stamps to stick on anyway?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 12:56 PM

I've forgotten the exact details, but they've just announced that 2,500 post offices may close in the near future

I didn't see the notice about parcel boxes, but presumably they are intended to be a substitute for when you will no longer be able to go to your local sub post office

At the moment they measure the size & weight of letters, packets, and parcels, so I wonder how they'll deal with that?

You can have parcels delivered to your local PO as click & collect, post restant and similar schemes, so it looks like that service will be lost as well
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I've forgotten the exact details, but they've just announced that 2,500 post offices may close in the near future

I didn't see the notice about parcel boxes, but presumably they are intended to be a substitute for when you will no longer be able to go to your local sub post office

At the moment they measure the size & weight of letters, packets, and parcels, so I wonder how they'll deal with that?

You can have parcels delivered to your local PO as click & collect, post restant and similar schemes, so it looks like that service will be lost as well

Far from it, being the cynical old sod that I am, it means the post office will no longer deliver door-to-door, but only to those 'post boxes' and its then up to you to go and collect from the box wherever that may be and however inconvenient that may be.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The Royal Mail are installing post boxes in selected towns and cities where you can post a parcel to someone like you would post a letter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48334721

Am I being cynical in thinking that some of these boxes would be broken into and their contents emptied?

I think you may be right!..
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 01:10 PM

On a similar note, seeing the trial in Milton Keynes of having deliveries by robot, I can't understand what's stopping those robots being waylaid, broken into, and the contents stolen.

Besides which, it might be easy in Milton Keynes where the layout can cope with robots trundling around, but I can't see a robot getting far where I live, with very narrow, sloping pavements, often blocked by wheelie bins etc.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 01:48 PM

When it comes to parcels the courier services that are now well established will provide what hereabouts is better and less expensive that the PO.

For returns the "Drop Off" facilities springing up at Supermarkets works well and could be extended, apart from which some courier services off a collection service.

At the end of the day the private sector always provides reduced costs and overall increased efficiency.

Like the High Street the Post Office is increasingly becoming a thing of the past.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I've forgotten the exact details, but they've just announced that 2,500 post offices may close in the near future.

– Snip –
If interested see my earlier thread below with a link to Daily Mail news item on this story:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=61432
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 02:47 PM

What is the point of this? You need to go to the Post Office to get the parcel weighed so why can't you give them the parcel to post?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
What is the point of this? You need to go to the Post Office to get the parcel weighed so why can't you give them the parcel to post?
When a parcel is to be sent via a courier using a set of bathroom scales is enough and if it's just a few pounds either kitchen scales or even a best guess works.

Here's an actual cost. A box of books weighing 4 kg sent to an address in Essex and collected from my home would cost around £4:50. And that's with free insurance cover up to £20.

That ain't bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top