Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:05 AM

LIFE IN THE 1950’s

LIFE IN THE 1950’s

I wasn’t born until 1948, so I missed the Second World War, but grew up in the aftermath. My Dad wore his DEMOB suit for special occasions. Everywhere was austerity and make do and mend. We had no money and lived in all sorts of places until my parents were allocated a council house in 1951. The local Labour party councillor was credited with this placement & my parents thereafter loyally voted Labour. If mum wanted something she saved up for it out of her £4 a week “housekeeping” given to her from my Dad’s £5 a week wages which was about average for the early 1950s.
My first day at school was a curious thing. I stayed until lunchtime and then skipped home and set to work making plasticine models; my favourite activity.My mother was dismayed to find me back at home within a couple of hours of leaving me safe in the classroom with the teacher Miss Blake. With hands in pockets I nonchalantly explained that it had been quite nice but I didn't think I would go back.
Mum wasted no time in marching me back and my shouts of,
"But I want to be a celebrity when I grow up" were wasted. I was back with these rough children and their snotty noses, silver sleeves and nits. The boys spent far too much time competing with each other to see who could project their wee the highest up the side of the high brick wall enclosing the playground. The girls played dibbs endlessly or skipped, or mixed and matched or discarded their peer’s coldheartedly.I grew very fond of my class teacher, Miss Blake. I watched her for hours. Miss Blake made up for the unpleasantness of the school. . She was naturally blonde with lovely soft wavy hair pulled back into a sort of bun at the back of her head. When she was close by, in her fluffy twin set and pink cheeks and warm womanly softness, the air was filled with her fragrance. …
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Re: LIFE IN THE 1950’s

I too have very fond memories of my schooldays. I didn't like history or the teacher of it but everyone else were OK. If only we appreciated it as much at the time as we do now.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
LIFE IN THE 1950’s

I wasn’t born until 1948, so I missed the Second World War, but grew up in the aftermath. My Dad wore his DEMOB suit for special occasions. Everywhere was austerity and make do and mend. We had no money and lived in all sorts of places until my parents were allocated a council house in 1951. The local Labour party councillor was credited with this placement & my parents thereafter loyally voted Labour. If mum wanted something she saved up for it out of her £4 a week “housekeeping” given to her from my Dad’s £5 a week wages which was about average for the early 1950s.
My first day at school was a curious thing. I stayed until lunchtime and then skipped home and set to work making plasticine models; my favourite activity.My mother was dismayed to find me back at home within a couple of hours of leaving me safe in the classroom with the teacher Miss Blake. With hands in pockets I nonchalantly explained that it had been quite nice but I didn't think I would go back.
Mum wasted no time in marching me back and my shouts of,
"But I want to be a celebrity when I grow up" were wasted. I was back with these rough children and their snotty noses, silver sleeves and nits. The boys spent far too much time competing with each other to see who could project their wee the highest up the side of the high brick wall enclosing the playground. The girls played dibbs endlessly or skipped, or mixed and matched or discarded their peer’s coldheartedly.I grew very fond of my class teacher, Miss Blake. I watched her for hours. Miss Blake made up for the unpleasantness of the school. . She was naturally blonde with lovely soft wavy hair pulled back into a sort of bun at the back of her head. When she was close by, in her fluffy twin set and pink cheeks and warm womanly softness, the air was filled with her fragrance. …
Sounds like you had a big crush on Miss Blake I was born in the same year and never had a crush on any male teacher, they all smelled of smoke and had a very austere look about them
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Another great thread Robert,
When hubby got home from school - first day, he said to his mum - 'do i get paid for this !' 'No - of course not' says she....He just could not understand this.. it was long hours and he worked !
School days were not good for me..but, we did have Rock n Roll, and, music from every genre coming onto the scene - so, that made up for a lot !
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

28-02-2013, 04:21 PM

I was born in 1950. Our property was home to thirteen Germans during WW2, signs of their occupation were all around us for years. My father was too busy building up his business to bother with removing gun racks etc. The Germans left in a hurry before the Brits arrived, so they left their ammunition behind too. I got into one heck of a lot of trouble for finding a live hand grenade and kicking it around like a fooball! Looking back on those days and the life threatening scrapes I got myself into, it is incredible I survived.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top