Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Starting to think seriously about my Will etc.

Yes, following my visit to the 50+ Show yesterday, and having spoken to some advisers/bringing home literature with me, I am now taking this seriously.

My main problem had been how to divide the assets (speaking to a neighbour recently gave me an idea), who would deal with it etc. (Executor)

One organisation stated taking 1-4% of the estate.

I've just made a list, firstly of how I would like the Will wording to be (or have made a start), and I've also started a list of people and organisations who need to be contacted. Crikey, what a list! It just goes on and on.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Re: Starting to think seriously about my Will etc.

This is a difficult one for me too Janet and my solicitor mentions it every time we're in contact !

I do want family stuff to be passed down to my family and my late OH's family and I seem to have accumulated a fair amount of it.

Last year, I was happy to send Mum's cousin a framed portrait of her mother, which had belonged to my parents. Didn't tell her I was sending it and just kept everything crossed that it arrived safely in time for Xmas... yep ... a success.

Now I'm stuck.

I recently emailed a cousin, outlining my intentions, my ongoing dilemma and asking if any of the family was interested in jewellery and if so, what in particular ... no response whatsoever !!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Mine basically says, "Sell car to pay for funeral".
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Ours is giving us some pain, do we give just to the kids we raised or all the nieces and nephews ? Nate and Jordie would like us to leave it all to Grace but some of the others seem to be quite greedy for themselves

Will have to really give it a good think.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 01:26 PM

We made ours years ago, what they called a mirror image will (Both the same)

It was easy for us, we have only one daughter and everything goes to her.
If she was not around its divided between her hubby and the 2 grandchildren.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 02:07 PM

I have drafted a Will and had it signed but it is self made and in it I stipulate that I do not want a funeral as I want my body to go the medical science. The students need bodies to practice. My one stipulation that they dispose of the body once the students have finished with it. My possessions all go to my son, my daughter does not contact me from one year to another and is not short of money. What small amount of jewellery I have I will leave to my Granddaughter who I have not seen for some considerable time and have only seen her about 8 or nine times in her life, she is now 15! My daughter moved last year and never apart from saying the area she has moved to no giving me her new address or telephone number.........I am afraid I shall leave this mortal coil before she contacts me again.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 03:49 PM

It sure makes you think this thread.

There is only hubby and myself we have told each other what we want but beyond that nothing.

I think it might be best if we start off by writing down what we want to do and take it from there.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Wondering if I've made my brother think! Got a text from older sister to say she was away (on their cruise), so phoned him to see if he realised that.

I told him about going to the show yesterday and of my new intentions, plus saying what I've been thinking, that I didn't know who to leave things to etc.

Wonder if he put the phone down saying to his missus 'why isn't Janet leaving it all to her three siblings only?' *laughs evilly*

I also wondered whether to contact the three of them, to ask if they had their eyes on the large items, like the car, the TVs, the iPad/iPhone, CDs, books. But as younger sister doesn't return messages or texts (only the occasional chat on Facebook) I'm not sure what to do about it.

I am certainly NOT leaving anything to nieces and nephews, as I could count on one hand the ones who truly mean something to me. The others? Well, left off of wedding invites for a start (2), or invited to a wedding but left off of photo shoots with the professional (1). So I'm being fair by excluding all from my wishes. My siblings can fight it out between them when I'm gone.

Brother has done his funeral plan. Said he cried when handing over the money, as I probably will! But guess it should be done.

This is no easy task.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
I have drafted a Will and had it signed but it is self made and in it I stipulate that I do not want a funeral as I want my body to go the medical science. The students need bodies to practice. My one stipulation that they dispose of the body once the students have finished with it. My possessions all go to my son, my daughter does not contact me from one year to another and is not short of money. What small amount of jewellery I have I will leave to my Granddaughter who I have not seen for some considerable time and have only seen her about 8 or nine times in her life, she is now 15! My daughter moved last year and never apart from saying the area she has moved to no giving me her new address or telephone number.........I am afraid I shall leave this mortal coil before she contacts me again.
My husbands uncle died this year and there was no funeral, he gave his body to medical science, some other members of the family are thinking the same way too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 11:39 PM

If anyone needs some good guidance, there is an excellent book which was reviewed on Womans Hour, and recommended in Good Housekeeping, and the Law Society Gazette. It is called "Last Orders." and it's by a lady called Patricia C. Byron.

You can find out about it on www.lastorders.org.
Published by Stellar Books at £12.99.

It covers so many things, eg. Who needs contacting/the funeral itself/grave or cremation/medical matters/wills/money matters/children and even our pets.

It has pages of questions and areas you can write in so you don't forget anything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top