Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:10 AM

Re: Probate

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Rehab
If your will is straight forward ie all going to your daughter it's not hard at all.
You just get several copies of the death certificate and send it to the various places .
If your daughter sells the house she will only have to pay capital gains tax on the amount it has gained since the day she inherited it.
She will also have a CGT allowance of £11100.
She will have to pay inheritance tax if your estate is over £325k it is charged at 40% over this amount.
The will of my FIL was straight forward ,ie all going to his son and me, it still had to go to Probate .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:10 AM

Thanks for that Muddy, you have just opened another bloody can of worms that I was not aware of
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
The will of my FIL was straight forward ,ie all going to his son and me, it still had to go to Probate .
Of course unless you leave less than £5000 all wills have to go to probate .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Thanks for that Muddy, you have just opened another bloody can of worms that I was not aware of
You're welcome .
You didn't think you were going to shuffle off this mortal coil tax free did you?
Unfortunately IHT once the province of the super rich has now caught up with everyone owing to the rediculous price of houses .
However the good news is this changes this year .
Now you can pass on the family home tax free to a family member up to one million pounds.
It's complicated so you probaby will need a solicitor to sort out George Osboure 's tricky arrangement.
Meanwhile it's all grist to the solicitorial mill
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I will take your advice on that and run it by her.

I can't take the credit for it Rehab, it was Swimmy's idea and I merely agreed with him.
I think I would probably appreciate being asked, so maybe your daughter would too.
Hope you're not planning to go anywhere just yet though.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You're welcome .
You didn't think you were going to shuffle off this mortal coil tax free did you?
Unfortunately IHT once the province of the super rich has now caught up with everyone owing to the rediculous price of houses .
However the good news is this changes this year .
Now you can pass on the family home tax free to a family member up to one million pounds.
It's complicated so you probaby will need a solicitor to sort out George Osboure 's tricky arrangement.
Meanwhile it's all grist to the solicitorial mill
Looks like I will have to hang on then Muddy But thanks for all the info, it certainly looks like I am going to have to get a solicitor......bugger!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

23-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can't take the credit for it Rehab, it was Swimmy's idea and I merely agreed with him.
I think I would probably appreciate being asked, so maybe your daughter would too.
Hope you're not planning to go anywhere just yet though.
Just doing a bit of forward planning Mups, prior preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance as they say
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-01-2017, 12:44 AM

When you register a death they fill you in on everything.
They notify all the revelant offices and you can pick up leaflets explaining exactly what you have to do including the probate process.
The good thing is you won't have to do anything
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:45 AM

Yes, you are no doubt right, Rehab.
I did my will a couple of years ago, but I want to change it, so need to spend some time thinking about it more carefully this time.

What would you like me to leave you?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 02:04 AM

There is NO 'death tax' or 'inheritance tax' or any of that sort of crap in Aus.

The entire estate goes to the beneficiaries - less any admin/legal costs.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top