Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Re: Protein Diets.

Hi

High protein diets are a waste of time, your body can only process a certain amount of protein.

Any diet is based one one simple premise, you take in less calories than you use, anything else is a waste of time.

Whey protein powder is a joke, it really is.

We produce vast amounts of it locally as a byproduct of the dairy industry.

We call it pig food, available in sacks of 25kg for less than 10% of the price they are selling 1kg online as a food supplement.

It comes off the same production line, a triumph of marketing over reality.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 03:56 PM

My husband has lost over 12 stones on a high protein diet, using protein powder in his smoothies for breakfast.

It depends on what you are trying to acheive whether it's rubbish or not IMO.

He's done so well he's no longer taking blood pressure tablets and only half as many painkillers for his back.

If he hadn't found this diet he couldn't have had his knee replacement nor would he have recovered so well.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband has lost over 12 stones on a high protein diet, using protein powder in his smoothies for breakfast.

It depends on what you are trying to acheive whether it's rubbish or not IMO.

He's done so well he's no longer taking blood pressure tablets and only half as many painkillers for his back.

If he hadn't found this diet he couldn't have had his knee replacement nor would he have recovered so well.
Hi

What part of this simple statement of scientific fact do you not understand?

You can only lose weight if you eat less calories than you use.

It matters naff all what kind of diet you are on, it is simply calories in must be less than calories out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 04:49 PM

I understand alright I lost 5 stones myself but neither of us could have done it without upping our protein. Protein makes you feel much less hungry takes away the cravings for sugar and carbs. It's an amazing thing when you start taking a high protein diet, you suddenly don't feel hungry anymore. And yes that's less calories but you need to not feel hungry to manage a low calorie diet or you will fail.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Hi Brenda.
I take a protein shake every day as a supplement to my fitness routine. If you have enough protein as standard in your daily intake, you may not need a shake at all.
Be very careful which type of protein you take and it all depends on what you need it for, as some as very high in fat and/or sugar content.
Here's a website I normally use which I find helps as it gives full details of recommended uses and ingredients.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...s2zQBhufWwggsg
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-07-2017, 05:48 PM

Hi

This is what is in whey.

Nutrition Facts
Whey
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.2 g 1%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 2 mg 0%
Sodium 54 mg 2%
Potassium 161 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 1%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 5 g
Protein 0.9 g 1%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4% Iron 0%
Vitamin B-6 0% Vitamin B-12 5%
Magnesium 2%

Whey Protein Powder just has 90% of the water removed.

If you are buying protein powder with high fats and sugars, you are buying rubbish, bulked out with cheap ingredients.
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

13-07-2017, 07:21 PM

I’ve been reading up on this....The Paleolithic diet - Paleo for short.

Apparently, our digestive system isn’t built to cope with carbohydrates, you cavemen were hunter-gatherers so our diets were meat, fish, fruit, nuts seeds and vegetables. Protein diets were all you guys needed to keep fit, healthy and strong enough to pull us girlies around by our hair. They definitely didn’t have a bakery on the corner to get a loaf of bread.

it’s all very interesting.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-07-2017, 07:36 PM

If it was just dust I'd still say its brilliant stuff, I am not sure you understand what being properly obese means. If he hadn't found a diet that worked they had only one choice and that was cut off his leg. So pig food, full of sugars and stuff it made no difference. It worked and we weren't hungry on our diets once.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 09:07 AM

It's all down to your metabolism and getting it working right for your body. So no single diet will work for everyone because we are all different. But diets that work with metabolism will be a more effective way of losing weight healthily than those simply reducing calories. Protein diets trick the metabolism.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's all down to your metabolism and getting it working right for your body. So no single diet will work for everyone because we are all different. But diets that work with metabolism will be a more effective way of losing weight healthily than those simply reducing calories. Protein diets trick the metabolism.
I do agree Annie but reducing calories has a place too, I do well on counting calories husband doesn't. We both diet and lose but in different ways which IMO proves your theory.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top