Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Next Project

Some folks may remember, I built a Conservatory (4m x 3m) five years or so ago, and much to the amusement of a local builder, I set the footings at 600mm depth to match the house, and built the walls and insulation to current standards, well, the Conservatory has had no use for the last three years, so I am going to extend the structure the full width of the house, and move the (smallish) kitchen from the front of the house, to the rear, I will sell the Conservatory, to part fund the alterations, and fit an open vaulted ceiling with Velux Windows, the structure will be large enough to allow the fitting of an Island Unit, with sink, I have checked the permitted development criteria, and costed the materials, it's surprising how relatively cheap it is, if you are able to complete the work yourself.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Re: Next Project

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Some folks may remember, I built a Conservatory (4m x 3m) five years or so ago, and much to the amusement of a local builder, I set the footings at 600mm depth to match the house, and built the walls and insulation to current standards, well, the Conservatory has had no use for the last three years, so I am going to extend the structure the full width of the house, and move the (smallish) kitchen from the front of the house, to the rear, I will sell the Conservatory, to part fund the alterations, and fit an open vaulted ceiling with Velux Windows, the structure will be large enough to allow the fitting of an Island Unit, with sink, I have checked the permitted development criteria, and costed the materials, it's surprising how relatively cheap it is, if you are able to complete the work yourself.
O=h so like that idea , wish I was capable of tackling something like that. your post was so long ago i wonder if you completed it. I made two greenhouses out of pallet timber , not quite on the same scale
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Even though you have checked, my advice would still be clear it with your local council. That way you avoid any possible complaints from neighbours etc.

i did a side flank extension to a previous house of mine and not only got planning permission which I had to get, but I also found the planning officer very helpful . There were a couple of issues like hanger not holding in house brick course as they were mainly a lime mix. He allowed a half brick to be removed. Small but oh such an important point. it is the little things that can upset a plan of action
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 05:12 AM

Brilliant. Do it. Will you share pics?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Brilliant. Do it. Will you share pics?

Yes, I usually take pics of projects, in case there are building regulation issues. I am still working on what started as a workshop, but it crossed my mind, it would make a good utility room, freeing the kitchen of white goods.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
sounds like you are not consulting 'er in doors' before starting projects?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

18-10-2017, 07:01 AM

It's usually because of "er in doors" I'm up to my armpits in wet cement.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Wish you could come and build mine quotes for builders are astronomical !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

18-10-2017, 07:34 AM

It's knowing your strengths Muddy, I tend to over-engineer the bits you'll never see again, and lack "Finesse" in some of the finishing detail, this has always been the case, maybe it's a subliminal metaphor for life.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Wish you could come and build mine quotes for builders are astronomical !

Yes, he could have done some work for me too Muddy, he certainly sounds more knowledgeable than the lot I've had here this summer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top