Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 01:03 AM

Drone

Anybody got one? Do you use it much and what for?

They look a lot of fun and some of the travel video using them on YouTube looks spectacular.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 08:08 AM

Re: Drone

I think they are creepy Bruce....they fly over and you have no idea who is looking at you. I don't have one and like them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Often used illegally over here, good for film /photos if you have a good one.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 09:51 AM

A good thing for search and rescue/military purposes etc but as always can be used for nefarious purposes such as recording nude sunbathers and other invasive acts.

The latest was an assassination attempt by drone which has to be a secuity nightmare
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Our son uses one a lot in his line of work, esp out in Indonesia

When he was here at Christmas he had it with him as he was heading out to Indonesia on the way home to Sydney and it was amazing where he could fly it, sending the film back to his phone. He could even add our cars number plate and it followed us home filming the journey - amazing
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Anybody got one? Do you use it much and what for?

They look a lot of fun and some of the travel video using them on YouTube looks spectacular.
An expensive and largely pointless hobby. It is NOT legal to fly a drone anywhere near buildings, roads or people. That means the only place you can use them is way out in a field somewhere and even then you might risk being close to animals in mating season etc. How much fun can you actually have flying a drone in an empty field? And at what cost for all that equipment?

Far better to race radio controlled cars or airplanes or in my case a radio controlled racing yacht
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
An expensive and largely pointless hobby. It is NOT legal to fly a drone anywhere near buildings, roads or people. That means the only place you can use them is way out in a field somewhere and even then you might risk being close to animals in mating season etc. How much fun can you actually have flying a drone in an empty field? And at what cost for all that equipment?

Far better to race radio controlled cars or airplanes or in my case a radio controlled racing yacht
What a load of drivel! You are a real misery. CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) has rules for flying drones which are quite clear and easy to follow (basically the same as for model aircraft - because that is what they are).

Nothing about roads, buildings or animals the only restriction is 30m from people and sensible rules about aircraft and emergency scenes.

Expensive? I don't think so - you can buy a drone with GPS, homing and tracking features for about $1000 and a simple one with HD camera for a couple of hundred bucks. I think they could be a lot of fun.

They even have indoor drone obstacle competitions but for travelling in a beautiful country like Australia getting video or photos of the magnificent scenery these things are ideal. I wish I'd had one when I was in the Bungle Bungles for example

CASA's Rules:

• You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of-sight. This means being able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through a device) at all times.
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400ft) above the ground.
  • You must keep your drone at least 30 metres away from other people.
  • You must not fly your RPA over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue.
  • You must only fly one RPA at a time.
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include beaches, parks, events, or sport ovals where there is a game in progress.

Having said all that whether I would get one is a moot point. I have enough clutter with out getting more.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top